I Took My New Detector Out For A Test Drive Today

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my Teknetics Omega version 6 with the 10 inch concentric search coil in the mail yesterday. This isn't my first Omega, it's my 4th. I've had versions 4, 5 and 6. I mess around and sell them and then I get to missing having one so I buy another one.

I ran it in 4 tones, 0 discrimination and set the sensitivity at 70. I played around with different sensitivity settings before digging some deep targets and found that there was no noticeable depth deference between a sensitivity setting of 70 and 99. The detector ran smoothly at all the sites that I hit today even with its highest sensitivity setting. It's a good one. I was digging all targets to get used to the machine again.

I ended up finding a couple of Washington quarters, a Mercury dime, a 1979 New Pence 2, 4 wheat pennies and a bunch of clad coins.

The weather was perfect and the ground was soft!

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    838.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    684.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    438 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 31
Best of luck with your new rig! :occasion14:

WTG Tabman. Definitely broke in the new machine by digging a lot of holes. Congrats on all the silver....again :icon_thumright:.

Looks like your new Omega is working fine with that haul and silver keepers! Congratulations!

That is an awesome break in hunt!
Way to go! :icon_thumleft:

Glad to see you are liking the V 6 and it's finding it's keep. Do you have a preference of coils (concentric vs DD)? I used both coils in the same patch of ground (playing around one day) and got more stable target IDs with the DD hitting the same targets.

Best of luck with your new rig! :occasion14:
Thanks!

Congrats on your finds, looks like you can find anything with everything
Thanks! Location is the key.

WTG Tabman. Definitely broke in the new machine by digging a lot of holes. Congrats on all the silver....again :icon_thumright:.
Thanks! I'm still looking for another site that's loaded up with silver coins.

Looks like your new Omega is working fine with that haul and silver keepers! Congratulations!
Thanks! It's a fun detector to use.

That is an awesome break in hunt!
Way to go! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks! I always put the metal to petal when I'm trying a new detector. I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

Glad to see you are liking the V 6 and it's finding it's keep. Do you have a preference of coils (concentric vs DD)? I used both coils in the same patch of ground (playing around one day) and got more stable target IDs with the DD hitting the same targets.
Thanks! My very favorite search coil for my Omega, Cibola and F75 is the NEL Sharpshooter. Hands down!

tabman

You say deep targets. How deep would you say your digging? Any difference compared to the other detectors?

You say deep targets. How deep would you say your digging? Any difference compared to the other detectors?

The ones that I'm talking about in this post were around 7 inches deep on a dime or copper penny. In my test garden using the 10 inch DD search coil, the Omega gets around a 4 inch ground clearance above a buried 6 inch silver dime. Compared to the other Omega detectors that I owned, this one runs the same as the versions 5 and 6 that I sold. My version 4 was super chatty and it's hard to say because I mostly ran the sensitivity at 70 or below at most sites. I never thought to do any testing when I was at a EMI free site.

I posted this on another forum:

Yesterday I took my new Omega 8000 version 6 out for a test run. This is not my 1st Omega, it's my 4th. I keep buying and selling them. The settings that I used were 0 discrimination, 70 on the sensitivity and 4 tones. I wanted to hear all of the iron in the ground. When I got an iffy target signal I would dig it if there was iron around it. It paid off because it doesn't take much iron to make a good target sound like an iffy or bad target.
I'm talking really small tiny pieces of iron.

DirtFishing's video really explains how best to use the 'iron' audio. It looks and sounds like he's using version 4.

Those are some great finds. Always a great day when you find some silver, and you knocked it out of the park. Congrats on the new detector.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back