Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to share something with you folks.Thought it was pretty cool to have been recognized by one of the Senior Archaeological Curators of the James town rediscovery.Shes interested in the things I've found over the years. Who knows mabe all my digging will turn out to be of some cool history, to me it already was but to have them interested seems pretty cool.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for making contact! I haven’t had a chance to look at all your interesting finds as I am “remote desktopping” from home but should be in the office tomorrow. I had a preliminary peek and all I can say is “wow!” Is that a spoon mold that you are holding in one image? Did you find that in the ground? Amazing! I will write to you again tomorrow!

Best wishes,

Bly

Hi Pete,
I’m in the office today and spent all morning looking through all your wonderful finds. Truly amazing!!! I am especially interested in your 16th-century spoon mold. It is so extraordinarily rare and, as you say, would be something carried by the members of the Lost Colony. I guess that you know that the First Colony Foundation is trying to find traces of the LC and have sponsored excavations at Fort Raleigh and in areas “under the patch” on the British Museum map. It is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack but we haven’t given up hope (I donate my time as curator for those archaeological searches as well). I would love to visit your museum of finds to see the objects up close. Wouldn’t it be cool if you truly have uncovered the centuries-old mystery?
Best wishes,
Bly

Here's some Vidieo of her & what she does..............Beverly "Bly" Straube - Bio - C-SPAN Video Library

The Dig: August 2013--Historic Jamestowne

Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Last edited:
Upvote 6
Thanks for the update. That spoon mold remains one of my all-time favorite finds on this forum. Wouldn't it be great if your find can add to the understanding of our early history. Please keep us posted on future developments!

Thanks for the update. That spoon mold remains one of my all-time favorite finds on this forum. Wouldn't it be great if your find can add to the understanding of our early history. Please keep us posted on future developments!

Agreed, as soon as I saw the mould, I was very excited, I remember pushing hard for banner & it took an age, & I had no clue why!

TK,

I would delete of the signature blocks unless you gain their permission, this can cause you some flack from the professionals.:thumbsup:

Can you please post that spoon mold here?

Agreed, as soon as I saw the mould, I was very excited, I remember pushing hard for banner & it took an age, & I had no clue why!

TK,

I would delete of the signature blocks unless you gain their permission, this can cause you some flack from the professionals.:thumbsup:

Yea, will do mate.:thumbsup:
Take Care,

Dang Pete - I was wondering how I missed your latten spoon mold post, but I see where that was 4 years ago. That is one awesome find! I just spent 2 days at Jamestown checking out all the artifacts in the 2 museums. It was pretty cool to be able to finally ID some of my early finds which were in some cases identical to their displayed items. I have quite a few things I've dug they may be interested in as well, but I'm afraid it would raise too many questions and have the potential to cause problems if I bring some things to their attention. I feel as though I have to respect the privacy of the property owners that give me permission to hunt their fields, and the last thing they want is for a large group of archaeologists to swarm the property and shutdown the farming operations there. Kind of a tough situation to be in as I'd love to share some of my finds with the archaeological community, especially the hammered silver caches and the artifacts that came from the early-to-mid 1600s trash pit I dug at the same site.

Last edited:
Dang Pete - I was wondering how I missed your latten spoon mold post, but I see where that was 4 years ago. That is one awesome find! I just spent 2 days at Jamestown checking out all the artifacts in the 2 museums. It was pretty cool to be able to finally ID some of my early finds which were in some cases identical to their displayed items. I have quite a few things I've dug they may be interested in as well, but I'm afraid it would raise too many questions and have the potential to cause problems if I bring some things to their attention. I feel as though I have to respect the privacy of the property owners that give me permission to hunt their fields, and the last thing they want is for a large group of archaeologists to swarm the property and shutdown the farming operations there. Kind of a tough situation to be in as I'd love to share some of my finds with the archaeological community, especially the hammered silver caches and the artifacts that came from the early-to-mid 1600s trash pit I dug at the same site.
Very true Bill,& as this site was on my Aunt& Uncles land close to a creek which what we call creeks down here is a lot different then what they call creeks in the mountains as you could probably put every creek in the north Carolina mountains in 1 of what we call creeks.:laughing7: And as this site had old graves as well some with markers that can't hardly be seen but with dates from the early 1700's & other markers just made of ballast rock they are so old.Not sure how my folks would like all that going on.But we'll see what comes of it if they want to go some kind of route like that.
Take Care,

That is awesome Pete. You're finds are always amazing and hopefully you'll keep us updated on this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back