I think we got a good one.

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I hit an old house place and found a Standing Liberty quarter. The date is gone but upon research, it is a type 1 (no stars under the eagle)?? Really excited about it but would love to know if it is the 1916 or 1917. Anyone know how else I can identify it?
On top of that, we found a brass ring, wheat penny, and a lot of other yet to be identified iron.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Hey Rce777777!! CONGRATS!! What ever the coin turns out to be it is always Great to spend time with the Family!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Without a date, I don't think you can tell if it's a 1916 or 1917 type 1. However, if the one you found has a mint mark, I believe it has to be a 1917. Nice find none the less. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
With the little research I have done so far, I think the 1916 and 1917 had no stars under the eagle. If this is wrong, please let me know. Either way I'm happy.

It would be hard to determine without the date they are almost identical otherwise, unless if you see a mint mark, either a D or an S, no 1916 SLQ had a mint mark, but it will not be conclusive that it's a 1916 if it doesn't have a mink mark because there are 1917s without a mint mark as well, but the presents of a mint mark will tell that it is definitely a 1917.

Here's a photo of a very worn 1917 D, so you will know where to look for the mint mark, even though the date is missing the D is still present, so yours should still most likely have the mint mark if it had one.

th

Last edited:
bet its hard to think about all the other stuff when you find something like that, it would be for me... congrats

image.jpgMaybe I can take it to an expert. Here is a closer pic.

From looking at your last picture, even though it's a little blurry and from the clues in the article posted by Frank (Huntsman53), I'm going to say unfortunately you have a 1917, the shallow curve to the left of Liberty's gown matches a 1917 SLQ and not that of a 1916 SLQ, IMHO

But I agree that you should take it to an expert so he/she can see it in person to confirm what it is.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back