I think these are meteorites, but not positive

Footballman77

May 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any insight to identifying if these are real meteorites and if so what type of material they are would be appreciated. Thanks for the help. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514319309.343812.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514319340.944274.jpg.

I hope they are meteorites - but they could be coal slag .

Upvote 0
What makes you think they might be meteorites? Are they magnetic? Nothing about them jumps out at me and screams meteorite, the air bubbles ALMOST guarantee they are not.

Upvote 0
I meant they’re magnetism isn’t very strong, but the big on holds the magnetic and the smaller one the magnet can lift it. Starting to think they may not be, but still doing my research. Thanks again for the responses

Upvote 0
Sorry, meteorwrongs. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
I disappointedly appreciate you guys pointing out my errors, next time I’ll know those quick signs like air bubbles to eliminate a subject. Thanks again, some please mark solved until I figure out how to do it. Thanks

Upvote 0
Good job posting it that's what this is for. Though everyone agrees its most likely not a meteorite you could do some research online ya never know. Tommy

Upvote 0
This little inquiry has definitely spiked my curiosity and I’ve been looking up more on identifying and finding meteors today. This site has offered an awesome group of knowledge anytime I’ve come with a question.

Upvote 0
Most meteorites are super magnetic. Made up of mostly 2 metal iron and nickel a magnet will jump to the meteorites.
Get yourself a rare earth magnet at Home Depot and attach a string to it. Some are sold with holes. Suspend the magnet near the rock.
Specific gravity is another way. In the 1950's at Glorieta a geologist jumped in a cold creek to create a crude specific gravity method to prove he had a meteorite. A treated slice is another way to see it's finger print.

Upvote 0
I’ll definitely be getting a rare earth magnet for the next rock I question dropped from the sky, I appreciate the info

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back