I think I found some Native American artifacts in the river

Odeyboy

Jul 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was with my grandkids at the Calapooia River (Kalapooia) in the Willamette Valley, Oregon. Looking for skipping rocks, I found a perfect triangle rock about 3 inches on each side which I thought was weird and kinda cool. Wading around, I found another and another. Then I found a small Triangular rock with a not notch on the top, and the strangest thing, still wading in the river about 2 feet deep, I found another one about 30 ft up river, that was nearly exactly the same size and shape. There is a history of the Kalapooia Indians (part of the Grand Ronde tribe) That lived in the area. I don’t know how to get them authenticated though. 9AED3FB0-1A63-4FAD-AE81-338D1B49F612.jpegC575F591-BB22-4E0C-9CF5-39EBCB4606AC.jpeg596DE76F-9AE6-4AB7-8B50-93C6FC99C812.jpeg9AED3FB0-1A63-4FAD-AE81-338D1B49F612.jpegC575F591-BB22-4E0C-9CF5-39EBCB4606AC.jpeg596DE76F-9AE6-4AB7-8B50-93C6FC99C812.jpeg

Upvote 0
They look like garden variety water worn rocks. No sign of being worked.

:hello: Welcome to tnet!
Your items are all natural, but if I am not mistaken you should find some really nice points in Oregon. Hopefully someone here that is in your area might post some examples to look for. When picking out artifacts look for flaking.

Welcome to TreasureNet, sorry, they are natural rocks, not artifacts.

I’m not sure the odds of finding two oddly but nearly identically shaped rocks in the same area is, but I’d set them high. What it means I don’t know, but it is weird. If you can pick up on something like that you’ll probably be able to find some cool stuff.

Welcome to Tnet! Go over to the North American Indian Artifact forum and look at some of their points. You will see where they have been chipped and flaked. That is what we call being worked. Don't give up, they're out there.

There are some nice arrowpoints around that area. Seems like one fellow was hunting strawberry fields.

Very good advice by Old Digger. Don't get discouraged, you are in a semi rich area. If you look often you will find them and you will recognize for sure when you find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back