pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This burl is on a huge 100 ft maple tree. Sitting on a huge limb 50ft up staring at me for the last 10 yrs.
Finally it's mine. Hope to salvage some burl bowls.
20230811_170446.png

Might be a great piece....they do hold some value, and can be absolutely beautiful when sliced open. Tree gold !! What species pepper 🌶?

Might be a great piece....they do hold some value, and can be absolutely beautiful when sliced open. Tree gold !! What species pepper 🌶?
Sugar maple tree.
We call it the Grandfather tree, a real huggable beauty.
Sadly it's years are numbered as it's lived a long life.
Lots of side trunk burl on it, but they'll stay.
You can see this burl off on the upper left.
20230811_124550.jpg
20230811_124626.jpg

Sugar maple tree.
We call it the Grandfather tree, a real huggable beauty.
Sadly it's years are numbered as it's lived a long life.
Lots of side trunk burl on it, but they'll stay.
You can see this burl off on the upper left.
View attachment 2098876View attachment 2098877
Sugar maple.....should be a nice birds eye type burl....can't wait to see the inside of it. Looks like much of the log is burlized!! She is an old beauty.

Here’s one we have in our small timber. Yours is way better. Mine is river birch; usually very pulpy wood.
I definitely want to see yours as it progresses. I’ll bet it’s gorgeous inside.

Attachments

• IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 14
I remember back in the mid 60s we'd go on a month long travel with our Forester camp trailer. We were in the north east of the country somewhere and stopped at a roadside shop and that had many burl wood bowls for sale. I was so attracted by the beauty of them. Some were rather large and I can still recall my mom commenting on how expensive they were. It seems we were in a region of the country the burl wood bowls are known for. When we got back to Iowa I'd go looking through the woods at 11 years old looking for a burl on the trees, never really found anything that would produce a large bowl, so believe the large burls can only be found in the north east and if I'm not mistaken the large examples are rather rare.

Last edited:
I remember back in the mid 60s we'd go on a month long travel with our Forester camp trailer. We were in the north east of the country somewhere and stopped at a roadside shop and that had many burl wood bowls for sale. I was so attracted by the beauty of them. Some were rather large and I can still recall my mom commenting on how expensive they were. It seems we were in a region of the country the burl wood bowls are known for. When we got back to Iowa I'd go looking through the woods at 11 years old looking for a burl on the trees, never really found anything that would produce a large bowl, so believe the large Burks can only be found in the north east and if I'm not mistaken the large examples are rather rare.
I spotted another on a 8-10" maple about 50ft up. Thought it was a large squirrels nest up there.
I can't get the lift over through the trees as it's on the other side of the sugar shack.
I'll winch the tree towards an opening and fall it layer next week.
Time to get a set of bowls done up.
The beauty of wood is breathtaking to say the least.
I'll commission a wood turner to do them for me.
Some are itching to cut into these big burls.
Seems that even in thus area they're hard to get also.

I remember back in the mid 60s we'd go on a month long travel with our Forester camp trailer. We were in the north east of the country somewhere and stopped at a roadside shop and that had many burl wood bowls for sale. I was so attracted by the beauty of them. Some were rather large and I can still recall my mom commenting on how expensive they were. It seems we were in a region of the country the burl wood bowls are known for. When we got back to Iowa I'd go looking through the woods at 11 years old looking for a burl on the trees, never really found anything that would produce a large bowl, so believe the large burls can only be found in the north east and if I'm not mistaken the large examples are rather rare.

I have a sawmill and have always kept my eye out for burls. They seem to be fairly rare around here. Not sure what causes them. I guess our trees are too healthy?😩
We have around 350 sugar maples on the property to tap.
2 burls
So they're not too common for me either.
Just took a nice saw log down 18" running 20ft perfect clear with pencil size brown core.
The tree at the top of photo.
I want a sawmill so bad.😪
20230815_082205.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back