✅ SOLVED I need help identifying

WILD BILL

Greenie
Jul 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this a while back while working in and old abandon house. It certainly looks authentic. The thimble looking thing appears to be Soap stone. The other is bone. The buck skin (looks like) ties everything together.

I use synthetic sinew for sewing on my leather goods and this certainly looks like real sinew.

On the picture showing the buck skin with the two holes, the holes have a green tint like copper or alloy of some sort had been there.

Has anyone seen anything like this and or do you know what it is??

Thanks

Bill

ARTIFACTSFULLVIEW.jpg

ARTIFACTS2.jpg

ARTIFACTS4.jpg

ARTIFACTS3.jpg

ARTIFACTS1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope some one ID's it, looks like an awesome find to me.

I have had for several years and periodical I try to search it out. it looks as 'authentic" as any thing I have held. It is like holding a big Ruby or chunk of Gold, they just feel real. This piece just "feels" good.

I am usually pretty good with figuring out what things are built for but this has me stumped. I am leaning more toward a 'tool'. Maybe a sewing tool. The soap stone piece is a real good thimble.

I am feeling that the little holes with the green tint was sign that it was on 'display" at one time. I can't think of what else would turn the leather green except for metal ,maybe a pin?

Cheers

Bill

Upvote 0
You have got yourself an Eskimo sewing kit. I know you look at it and go huh? sewing how? I don't have any idea how they work all I know is my aunts and uncles are native American that live in New Mexico and collected all types of native tools and my aunt had one of these in her house and I asked her years ago what it was and that was her answer. her are some pics of similar ones the first one is a little more decorative. I don't have any idea the value on those but they are interesting. check out the link too it will give you more info. Hope this answers it for you

Inuit Contact and Colonization Project - Historical Artifacts

Attachments

• 37-123-Eskimo-Ivory-Sewing-KitB-650.jpg
    37-123-Eskimo-Ivory-Sewing-KitB-650.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 977_32_42a_i.jpg
    977_32_42a_i.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 255
  • R91_3ABC_R2380_199A_E.jpg
    R91_3ABC_R2380_199A_E.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 407
Upvote 0
You have got yourself an Eskimo sewing kit. I know you look at it and go huh? sewing how? I don't have any idea how they work all I know is my aunts and uncles are native American that live in New Mexico and collected all types of native tools and my aunt had one of these in her house and I asked her years ago what it was and that was her answer. her are some pics of similar ones the first one is a little more decorative. I don't have any idea the value on those but they are interesting. check out the link too it will give you more info. Hope this answers it for you

Yee ha!

Thank you Sir! I always felt that it was something like that.

Bill

Inuit Contact and Colonization Project - Historical Artifacts

I appreciate the info and pictures

Upvote 0
I just went to the link and I was correct about the holes with green tint. It most likely is from a copper needle.

Thanks again

Bill

Upvote 0
Yes Good job!

I was only able to find a few different images. Did not locate anyone yet to appraise. I should have copper needle. There is the Copper Inuit. On one site it showed a similar kit and showed a copper needle right where the green holes are.

Bill

Upvote 0
Great ID CCM !!
Yes, it's a basic sewing kit for a Copper Inuit woman: the needle case made out of caribou bone, a thimble out of leather, and a spatula to hold in place the sealskin, which is the pin cushion for two precious copper needles. At the opposite end of the sealskin is a small toggle made out of the breastbone of a caribou.
More information is located here: Civilization.ca - Historic Inuit Art - Vilhjalmur Stefansson, collector
and one of the headings lists Collectors (about 20+ of them) who may assist you with the appraisal.
Again, great find and ID,
Don....

Upvote 0
The thimble looks to be made of soap stone. Everything is intact and perfect condition except for the missing needle.

Bill

Upvote 0
Great ID CCM !!
Yes, it's a basic sewing kit for a Copper Inuit woman: the needle case made out of caribou bone, a thimble out of leather, and a spatula to hold in place the sealskin, which is the pin cushion for two precious copper needles. At the opposite end of the sealskin is a small toggle made out of the breastbone of a caribou.
More information is located here: Civilization.ca - Historic Inuit Art - Vilhjalmur Stefansson, collector
and one of the headings lists Collectors (about 20+ of them) who may assist you with the appraisal.
Again, great find and ID,
Don....

All the names on the 'collectors' list are not living.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back