✅ SOLVED I Need Help Identifying A Rock

Jahubbs

Apr 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking through old family items since I had nothing else to do at home and I just wanted help in trying to identify a rock. To preface, I am from a mining town and my great grandfather as well as other members of my family worked in the mines. During their lunch breaks, they could search for rocks or minerals that interested them, which is why my great grandfather chose this rock. If anyone knows what it could be, please let me know since I have never seen anything like it before. Thanks because your guess is as good as mine!

IMG_7308.jpg IMG_7306.jpg IMG_7305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like granite. A long time ago, when that granite was still in the parent rock in the deposit, it cracked. Later, water bearing minerals percolated through the crack and deposited the pink colored rock. Still later, the granite eroded out and was broken down to the size and shape you have. No idea what the pink rock is. Gary

Upvote 0
Looks like granite. A long time ago, when that granite was still in the parent rock in the deposit, it cracked. Later, water bearing minerals percolated through the crack and deposited the pink colored rock. Still later, the granite eroded out and was broken down to the size and shape you have. No idea what the pink rock is. Gary

Obviously I'm no rock expert Gary, hence my always referring folks to a specific forum. :laughing7:
In my part of Southern Ontario, it's common to see a vein of pink quartz running through granite rock.
Dave

Attachments

• pink-white-quartz-vein-black-gneiss-rock-30278827.jpg
    pink-white-quartz-vein-black-gneiss-rock-30278827.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really appreciate all the help so far, but I haven't been able to find anything else that has looked similar yet. I'll definitely put this question in the rocks/gems part of the forum, thanks for the tip and thank you guys for being so welcoming!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back