I need help guys

CSA_Virginia

Sep 26, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I need some help identifying a few items from a dig this past week near Chancellorsville Va. The first item is a CSA Cavalry boot heel plate (according to the local collector) but I cannot find this particular plate in any book or on the net.

The second Item I do not have a clue, it appears to be jewelry of some type to me but not sure. Both of these pieces are Brass, once they were cleaned with a soft toothbrush and soapy water they show a rich green patina.

Thank you for any and all help on these and I look forward to being part of the community.

Keep your coils to the ground and happy hunting.

Attachments

• DSC00138.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC00139.JPG
    DSC00139.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC00138.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC00139.JPG
    DSC00139.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0
Of course the first one is a heel plate but I cannot be sure if I have seen it before or not, the pictures are just too blurry. It looks like the inside may have been a star shape that deterorated. The other item I have never seen an item quite like it, but it is also blurry. Could you post another picture?

Hello
New here but not to collecting! The boot plate was used on the heal of the boot or brogan-military shoe. The soles of footwear were made from leather. These were called heel plates and expanded the life of the footwear. Really hard to distinguish this from union or confederate as it is a standard style most likely originally from civilian life. This is a common type of plate. Rarer types are found with corps insignia cut into the center. The rings appear to me to be from some type of horse harness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back