I Missed A Few Relics /More Toasted Silver & Mystery Item!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back to the late 1800's house to present the owners with that military crossed cannon pin (1902-1905) that I dug last week in their yard. They loved it! I put it in a small Riker case and included some info with it.
I hit the yard for one last time and a few areas I hadn't done before. Including inside a fenced in area with chickens. :laughing7:
I dug:
*A toasted (melted) silver thimble. This was on the same side of the house where I dug a melted Barber dime and Barber quarter before. The house next door burned down many many years ago. That heat must have been intense!
*Old clock key
*1919 Wheat
*A dial from a vintage "Champ" padlock.
*Small lead shot
* MYSTERY ITEM - Any idea on this round brass tin with holes (2 1/2" diameter).

Nothing to write home to Aunt Ethel about, but I wanted to get that house crossed off of my list.
Thanks for L@@KING,
MM

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 36
  • bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Upvote 14
So I went back to the late 1800's house to present the owners with that military crossed cannon pin (1902-1905) that I dug last week in their yard. They loved it! I put it in a small Riker case and included some info with it.
I hit the yard for one last time and a few areas I hadn't done before. Including inside a fenced in area with chickens. :laughing7:
I dug:
*A toasted (melted) silver thimble. This was on the same side of the house where I dug a melted Barber dime and Barber quarter before. The house next door burned down many many years ago. That heat must have been intense!
*Old clock key
*1919 Wheat
*Small lead shot

Nothing to write home to Aunt Ethel about, but I wanted to get that house crossed off of my list.
Thanks for L@@KING,
MM
Maybe salt or pepper lid or related? Part of a phone mouth/ear piece? Idk just throwing darts

Maybe salt or pepper lid or related? Part of a phone mouth/ear piece? Idk just throwing darts
It's a sealed tin (2-pc). I was thinking maybe it was something that used to store moth balls in for a closet or chest.
But why the triangle cutout in the center?
And don't even get me started about the "moth ball" joke. :laughing7:
MM

Old fashioned ant trap maybe.
Take the paper off, and it was full of a paste or powder.
I will have to look into that. I'm so used to everything being made of plastic today, maybe they made those ant traps out of metal back then? Heck, potato chips came in huge tins, so why not. :dontknow:

Very nice of you presenting the property owner a nice gift that you found on their property (military crossed cannon pin 1902-1905) in a nice Riker case after the hunt! Very good for the hobby too. They want forget! In fact, they may tell others and get you another permission! Good job!

Very nice of you presenting the property owner a nice gift that you found on their property (military crossed cannon pin 1902-1905) in a nice Riker case after the hunt! Very good for the hobby too. They want forget! In fact, they may tell others and get you another permission! Good job!
That’s what I’m hoping too. They already gave me a lead to the neighbor across the street. And he has an uncle that has 50 acres in a CW battle area in VA. I’m hoping he gets me onto that property. Fingers crossed. 🤞

I dug:
*Old clock key
*1919 Wheat
*Small lead shot

Thanks for L@@KING,
MM
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That’s what I’m hoping too. They already gave me a lead to the neighbor across the street. And he has an uncle that has 50 acres in a CW battle area in VA. I’m hoping he gets me onto that property. Fingers crossed. 🤞
Great job! Keep it up and your making friends along with sharing the hobby! It don't get much better than that!

Great finds !

I found a bronze Clock Winder like yours at a 1800's home site last month.
It cleaned up real nice by using a Electrolysis Bath and some Extra Fine Steel Wool.

Great finds !

I found a bronze Clock Winder like yours at a 1800's home site last month.
It cleaned up real nice by using an Electrolysis Bath and some Extra Fine Steel Wool.
I was glad to have that old winder for my next Riker display. I may try a little fine steel wool on it too to shine it up a bit. Thanks.
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back