I love this cart any information would be appreciated.

JAG1

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cart at a resale shop and I love it, it didn't come with a horse or an ox but I still love the way it looks. Paid $20.00 for it. Anybody ever see something like this?

Edit: I believe the hinges and screws is an old repair, nothing else has screws. I couldn't find any makers marks on it anywhere.

Edit2: The cart is cast iron, the chest is a really dark wood that doesn't look like it's ever been painted and metal strips. I'm in East Texas. I'd say it weighs close to 10 pounds.

IMG_0069.JPGIMG_0072.JPGIMG_0073.JPG

Last edited:
Wood? Die-cast? Stone? What's it made of?

Also, where are you? USA? Europe? Mars?

More info is better...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Sorry, I updated the original post with more information.

Upvote 0
Can you put a link in this post so we don't have to search the forum for it, please?

Thx

DCMatt

Upvote 0
The cart is cast iron, the chest is a really dark wood that doesn't look like it's ever been painted and metal strips. I'm in East Texas. I'd say it weighs close to 10 pounds.

Upvote 0
My best guesstimate would be a jewelry box. The motif looks Asian. No, I've never seen one like yours, but have seen jewelry boxes made to look like rickshaws, carts and carriages.

WELCOME to the FORUM!

:)
Breezie

Cart.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My best guesstimate would be a jewelry box. The motif looks Asian. No, I've never seen one like yours, but have seen jewelry boxes made to look like rickshaws, carts and carriages.

WELCOME to the FORUM!

:)
Breezie

View attachment 1210141

Thanks for the info! Would have never thought it was a jewelry box.

Upvote 0
My thoughts were an old horse and wagon coin bank although the one I show is a goat and cart.images.jpg

Upvote 0
It's a copy of a "carreta", a two wheeled cart used for centuries in Mexico, the southwestern U.S. and other places in the world(maybe). They used to be sold in the markets of Mexico and were sold in El Mercado(the large Mexican market), here in San Antonio. May be made somewhere else, but they were intended, as Breezie said, to be jewelry boxes or a place to put other things of value to each person. Mostly sold to children and tourists.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back