I know what the item is just wondering of the value?

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
If someone had a part of a necklass and earing set form the late 1890s - 1920s ( ? ) era which had a necklass with real Perls and the earing's where round covered gold color with feathers? clip on type and a tiny diamonds in a setting some which are gone, probably a old dance hall /ball gown dress type item.They are the size of the (o) where it says one cent on the side of a penny....How much would that be worth....The set is in real bad shape and the Perls are pealing...Thats why I know it is real Perls! I was wondering how much the diamonds would be worth say if I could take them and put them in a nice ring for a gift to someone.There is about 6 diamonds left of out of 8-10.

sorry to disappoint you ghost but the item you have is costume jewelry from your description of the pearls pealing is enough to tell me these items are mainly fake. you see real pearls are made up of layers called nacre and Luster is what makes the pearl - good luster means good pearl If the pearl is described as good or excellent luster, you should be able to hold up your set in good light (sunlight is best) a few inches away from your face and see a nice reflection of your face. If the pearls are of poor luster, your reflection will appear dull and hazy. If they are bright, the reflection will be bright and alive ( if they are pealing then you will find that its just plastic covered in a nice paint ) also i think if you remove the remaining diamonds and look at the back of them you will find them to be coated on the back which you can scrape the coating off with a finger nail it is extreamly rare to find real gold as a clip on item as a soon to be certified gemologist and collector of precious and semi precious gems i think with around 95% unseen accuracy i am correct about this

Mav

Upvote 0
Thank you, I will have to take a look at these? really closely....I am not sure if it is pealing or if they are more dirty or something.I wish I could send a picture. I do not think it is paint because they are smooth and have that perly look.Though I do not know alot about perls.These were my moms and she is gone now...maybe got them from her mom...but not sure.I really truly like this site and everyone here are really great talking to.

Upvote 0
Another thing you can check is the setting the "diamonds" are in.If it is a closed back type of setting,then thier not real.I,m no expert for sure but,real diamonds always have an opening behind their set,i've always been told that they have to" breathe" whatever that means.Good luck and H.H.

Upvote 0
yes you are correct digg
the open setting is mainly used for effect not for the diamond to breath thats an old wifes tale
take notice for example a channel setting like in a tennis braclet usualy has a closed back

mav

Upvote 0
diggummup said:
Another thing you can check is the setting the "diamonds" are in.If it is a closed back type of setting,then thier not real.I,m no expert for sure but,real diamonds always have an opening behind their set,i've always been told that they have to" breathe" whatever that means.Good luck and H.H.
Diamonds have holes behind the stones to allow light to pass through the stone creating the mutifacceted colors the we see when we
look at them, you are right, real diamonds always have these holes..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back