I know what it is but would like to know exactly what it is from.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I was checking out a location that my wife showed me. She has passed this area every day and brought me to check it out. Well it is a brick or cinderblock structure that is partially torn down. Obviously abandoned. We pulled over to the side of the road and I got out and started walking towards the building. SOmething struck me funny though as I was walking towards it. There seemd to be something weird looking through the tall grass and vegetation behind it. Well as I got closer I realized what it was....an old stone foundation!!! This thing is huge also!! Walked around through it and around it and was drooling the whole time! Well I did notice part of a car axle laying on the ground and it had the rims attached. The rubber tire was also still on one of the rims. The strange thing about this rim was that it is a cast iron rim but has wooden spokes. Take a look at the photos and tell me what car this would have been on. It looks like a standard tire/rim with the same width as you would see on cars nowadays. The one photo is a further way shot and you should see the axle and tires on the ground in front of the stone foundation.

Thanks

Funkman

BTW, the site is on county land...any ideas on possibility of getting permission?

Attachments

• IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 542
The stone foundation could be for almost any kind of building...more likely it for an old barn or carriage house. Up until the mid to late 20's, many vehicles used wood spoked wheels...some were converted for use on wagons.

Once you have dug around, the structure may be more obvious as to its use. There is a possibility that there are other evidence of an outhouse...

If you find a cellar, this could have been a house.

Upvote 0
i agree with stefen, looks like a barn foundation to me. very cool looking spot!

Upvote 0
funkman said:
BTW, the site is on county land...any ideas on possibility of getting permission?

Funkman... I & my "detecting wingman" once obtained exclusive permission to extremely promising land that was on county property.

I wrote the county board an e-mail explaining who we were, what we did, why the area interested us and was very open about the digging thing explaining we were experienced hobbyist with x amount of years combined practice. I explained our concern for protecting the land and that we left little or no footprint, what we expected to find, and promissed to donate any historically relevent items to the local historical society. :-\

The board met, discussed, and directed the county attorneys to draft an agreement which we both gladdly signed for one year's permission to go "tear it up"!!

It took a little longer than we would have liked to get through the process, but when we had the legal contract... we were just waiting for someone to try to stop us! ;D

I have also operated under the idea that sometimes it's just easier to ask forgiveness then to request permission... (not my official recommendation) ;)

Good luck!

Upvote 0
County property in that condition would be an open invitation in my opinion. Just have a good excuse for being there if the sheriff shows up. LOL I also think it's a truck tire and rim. Probably not as old as a Model T Ford (they used solid rubber tires I believe), but something from the 1930s perhaps.

Upvote 0
The rim is a Ford Model TT truck, 1928 or earlier. The tire is a Firestone. I would go ahead and detect the place. Tony

Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
The rim is a Ford Model TT truck, 1928 or earlier. The tire is a Firestone. I would go ahead and detect the place. Tony

I first thought stefen nailed, my first thought was that it was a haywagon wheel. Now we have a little controversy, you can nail it, but do you have a link for verification?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
On the right side of the pic there are some loose rocks, could have been a storage place or garage for the vehicle. I know most structures were of wood, but if there were alot of stones around they would be cheaper(free) to use than getting wood.

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
funkman said:

Funkman... I & my "detecting wingman" once obtained exclusive permission to extremely promising land that was on county property.

I wrote the county board an e-mail explaining who we were, what we did, why the area interested us and was very open about the digging thing explaining we were experienced hobbyist with x amount of years combined practice. I explained our concern for protecting the land and that we left little or no footprint, what we expected to find, and promissed to donate any historically relevent items to the local historical society. :-\

The board met, discussed, and directed the county attorneys to draft an agreement which we both gladdly signed for one year's permission to go "tear it up"!!

It took a little longer than we would have liked to get through the process, but when we had the legal contract... we were just waiting for someone to try to stop us! ;D

I have also operated under the idea that sometimes it's just easier to ask forgiveness then to request permission... (not my official recommendation) ;)

Good luck!
Aren't you involved in local law enforcement though? I would tend to think that would give you a slight advantage over the rest of us mere mortals. ??? :-\ :)

downindixie said:
Wouldn't county property be public property unless otherwise posted?
Good question.

Upvote 0
diggummup said:
Montana Jim said:
funkman said:

Good luck!
Aren't you involved in local law enforcement though? I would tend to think that would give you a slight advantage over the rest of us mere mortals. ??? :-\ :)

downindixie said:
Wouldn't county property be public property unless otherwise posted?
Good question.

I shoulda been more specific! I am "military police" not associated officialy with any civilian police, except that one of my military police K-9 troops has a part time job as a local county sheriff. He told us it was cool to detect at the spot, but, once there a local "town" police told us to scram... it was a comedy of errors and the town cop was super-cool about it. We simply complied... after three hours already spent there we had nuthing anyway... no loss.

Um... posted? It was not "posted", but that dosnt mean it's okay to dig it up. And this particular location holds significant historical revelance to the town... so we just left.

Upvote 0
The tire & rim look to be from a Yugo prototype back in the 80's I think. ;D
What a neat place to MD.
-MM-

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back