I know this is a saber drag, but....

RickyD

Jan 21, 2006
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
Found this on the outskirts of the same fort where I made the earlier post. I know it is a saber drag, but I have never seen one near as elaberate. It has a single star on one side and crossed flags on the other, showing stars and stripes. Any imput?

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 392
Rick, Welcome To The Forum, Most Likely From A Dress Sword, You Are Right It Would Be Kind Of Fancy For Combat Use, But At The Start Of The War Many Troops Used What Ever They Had On Hand. What Kind Of Site Did You Find It ? I Am Assuming A CW Site.. trk5capt...

Attachments

• swordscab.jpg
    swordscab.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0
The drag was found in the same location I found the "hand holding a chisel" piece. The location is Fort Steilacoom just outside of Tacoma Washington. The fort was built in 1859 because of the indian problems. It was an elaborate fort in comparison to others in Western Washington. There were 33 buildings in a 5 square acre area. In 1861 it was left to the state malitia when the troops went off to the civil war. After the war it was reoccupied by the military until 1868 when any indian threats were over. It was then given to the state territory, and was turned into an asylum for the insane, which it is to this day...Western State Mental Hospital. The piece was found in a pasture, which is part of the Fort Steilacoom Park across the street, which as I said, I found out was the firing range during its occupation.

Upvote 0
The star could have been either mississippi or texas.....Im unsure right now...still looking! Im kinda thinking pre civil war also!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the imput and interest. I am sure it was a sabre drag that came off an officer's sheeth that was probably used for dress up occations, rather than every day use. It is made of brass, and as can be seen, still has a hint of gold-type guilding still on it. Knowing what a run of the mill drag sells for on ebay, would be interesting to know the value of this drag, though I would never sell it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back