I know this is a buckle

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But was wondering age? Kind? I don't see any writing on it.
1468128531965-1685240295.jpg1468128708079-693477225.jpg

New Page 0

Look at this link. A similar buckle with an iron tongue is listed as a Confederate frame buckle manufactured in Vicksburg. This is the only reference I can find to a similar buckle as being from that era. I have found other references to these buckles as being from the twentieth century. I found one very similar to yours and it measures 60mm X 50mm just like the one in the link. Mine, like yours, has the brass tongue. I know of one other with the iron tongue that has been found. Both were found in Mississippi in sites connected with the Vicksburg campaign in 1863. I still am not sure of the origin or the dates of manufacture of these buckles, but thought you might like to check out the link.

Upvote 0
I would say 19th C horse tack

Upvote 0
The reason I think it is a belt buckle is that the width matches up with frame belt buckles. The first attachment shows a Georgia frame buckle on top of the mystery buckle. The second attachment shows a forked tongue buckle, a Georgia frame buckle, and the mystery buckle. The buckle has almost the exact dimensions as the Georgia frame and is only slightly narrower than the forked tongue. I'm still not positive that it is a belt buckle and am not sure whether it is Civil War vintage. I hope there is an expert out there than can make a positive ID one way or the other.

Attachments

• Brass Buckles I.JPG
    Brass Buckles I.JPG
    854.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Brass Buckles II.JPG
    Brass Buckles II.JPG
    963.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Upvote 0
99.9% sure this went on a horse & not a person.

Main 2 reasons, other than being Brass, is the curve but more importantly the off-set bar, used to take thick leather.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back