✅ SOLVED I know it's a long shot, but might somebody know what this is?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I found it and a gold-gilded Virginia button within 10 feet of each other.
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.47.07 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.45.37 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.57.50 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Cool coin, if it’s what I think it is.

Looks like it’s a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). If so, it should be about 22mm, quite thin and weigh around 1.5g. These were struck in ‘billon’… a low grade silver alloy with a lot of copper.

Dinero.jpg

With a bit more detail and a bit less corrosion it would be around $40 or so. In that condition, not so much.

If it's smaller, it might be another denomination, but I don't have the right catalogues to hand at the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 11
Cool coin, if it’s what I think it is.

Looks like it’s a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). If so, it should be about 22mm, quite thin and weigh around 1.5g. These were struck in ‘billon’… a low grade silver alloy with a lot of copper.

View attachment 2081461

With a bit more detail and a bit less corrosion it would be around $40 or so. In that condition, not so much.

If it's smaller, it might be another denomination, but I don't have the right catalogues to hand at the moment.
Dang .. That is a crazy Virginia find! How in the world did something that old make it to central Virginia!!! Thank you Red-Coat! I really appreciate you! :hello: This is just over 19mm and is very thin.

Upvote 4
Dang .. That is a crazy Virginia find! How in the world did something that old make it to central Virginia!!! Thank you Red-Coat! I really appreciate you! :hello: This is just over 19mm and is very thin.

You're welcome. That's a mystery isn't it?

It might be a Henry IV coin, for which there are similar designs between 1471-1474. The equivalent circulation value was 1 real I think. The diameters for coins of this type is irregular and varies somewhat according to the spread of the flan during striking, but 19mm is within range for either Henry.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Cool find. Congratulations! Thanks for posting.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back