I hit a CT State Park today... Nabbed a 172X KG II and 49th & 50th IH for 2011..

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I hit a CT State Park today... Nabbed a 172X KG II and 49th & 50th IH for 2011..

Hello all!

What a bee-U-ti-FULL day it was here in CT... I got out in the 9:30sih time frame and I'm glad I did as it was 85 by 1:30...

I was at this site and nabbed a 1907 IH, 1941 Washington Quarter and some plated flatware a week 10 days ago... and I know this place dates to the mid 1600s...

1092011_Totals.jpg

Today I decided to work an area around a small pond and I wasn't there 15 minutes and got a 12/46 12/47 @ 4-5"... I was hoping for a copper... but had never got one here before... The dirt in this area is interesting as there are pines and dryer dirt in some areas... and overly wet in others... This was a signal in the dry dirt... Auto sensitivity in this area is 14 tops... so I'm pushing it @ 19 manual....

I was happy so see a larger green disc... but this thing is disingrating before my eyes... There is a thin layer that is falling off as it dried... The bust site is toast... but the obverse HAD some amazing detail when it was dropped...

1092011_172X_Copper.jpg

I can clearly see a 172X...

1092011_172X_Date.jpg

Next target out was a solid 15 conductive and was loud so I was expecting a can, or large lid... It was way to loud to be a coin or a small relic...

This is a neat baby spoon with a dog stamped in it...

1092011_Baby_Spoon.jpg

This next keeper was a 12/22 12/24... all of the shotgun shells here were 14's so far... and I had yet to find a pull tab... as I was crossing my fingers... for an Indian or Flying Eagle...

This 1863 Indian Head had the same thin layer that flaked right off... but there was decent, albeit pitted, details below...

1092011_1863_IH.jpg

This button is the 3rd of these New York, New Haven, & Hartford I've recovered this year... This one is smaller, perhaps a sleeve cuff version...

1092011_Button.jpg

I recovered 6-8 shotgun shells, a few D buckles/pieces, some copper bullet remains...another plated spoon...

Last keeper was 7/32 8/35 range @ 3-4" and I was pretty sure this was another Indian...

18XX Indian Head... This is my 50th Indian Head for 2011... I recovered 25 last year...

1092011_18XX_IH.jpg

HH ALL !!

Paul

Upvote 0
Re: I hit a CT State Park today... Nabbed a 172X KG II and 49th & 50th IH for 2011..

Good day out!

If you see 172 it has to be 1729.

Re: I hit a CT State Park today... Nabbed a 172X KG II and 49th & 50th IH for 2011..

scrounger d detector collector said:
state parks let u dig this old of stuff where ur from ?

Other than the listed sites below... all the rest are ok :-)

STATE OF CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION BUREAU OF OUTDOOR RECREATION, STATE PARKS DIVISION POLICY/PROCEDURE #312 October 31, 2002 SUBJECT: METAL DETECTION - COLLECTING GUIDELINES SECTION INDEX: I. USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES I. USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES The use of metal detection devices is permitted on land under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection under the following conditions: 1. The activity shall be limited to surface collection except at beach areas where digging is permitted in sand areas devoid of vegetation. However no collecting or digging will be allowed in areas of sand dunes adjoining the beach area proper. Digging must be done by hand with all motorized devices prohibited. All holes dug must be refilled immediately before the collector leaves the site.

2. The use of metal detection devices will only be permitted when the beach is not being used by the public for other purposes. 3. Persons using a metal detector are required to use a trash apron to store all materials found. The collector may retain articles found, except items of a personal nature such as jewelry and watches, which must be turned into the manager in charge. Any material the collector does not wish to retain shall be placed in a waste receptacle. 4. No specific permit is required at this time. 5. Staff may close any area to this activity for purposes of maintaining visitor safety and/or preserving significant artifactual remains. The use of metal detectors is prohibited at the following state park areas:

If you get caught metal detecting in Connecticut parks you can be prosecuted. Continental Army Hospital Memorial - West Hartford Dinosaur - Rocky Hill Ft. Griswold Battlefield - Groton Ft. Trumbull โ€“ New London Gay City โ€“ Hebron Gillette Castle โ€“ East Haddam (prohibition includes all of the park property adjacent to the CT River.) Industrial Monument โ€“ North Canaan Macedonia Brook โ€“ Kent Mashamoquet Brook โ€“ Pomfret Putnam Memorial - Redding

Congrats on the finds! I like the law they set up for detecting. HH, Mike

Nice finds! i wish North Carolina would write up the metal detecting laws the same way. good hunting

nice recoveries! congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back