image-3644383018.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 220
  • image-567368288.jpg
    image-567368288.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 209
  • image-4046230896.jpg
    image-4046230896.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 202
What is it made of? Is it heavy, light, magnetic? Size info (besides comparison to a hand). Could be a lot of things -- including a fulgarite -- but without more info it would be hard to guess.
Look at the photos here on Wikipedia for more on fulgarites. It does look like one, actually... Fulgurite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
Archeodeb said:
What is it made of? Is it heavy, light, magnetic? Size info (besides comparison to a hand). Could be a lot of things -- including a fulgarite -- but without more info it would be hard to guess.
Look at the photos here on Wikipedia for more on fulgarites. It does look like one, actually... Fulgurite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is iron and it is definitely man made.

Attachments

• image-3586808292.jpg
    image-3586808292.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0
It's really hard to tell much about it with all the rust, but it's shape reminds me of a large iron gate latch.

I hate to admit that I do this, but whenever I find an iron piece like yours, I will use a pair of pliers to twist off the rust. I'm not suggesting you do this because it could break, but generally if it is an item that I feel is not a valueable one, that's what I do to try to clean it to be able to ID it. :) Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Clean that thing please. Electrolysis if you think its worth anything. Its not possible to ID a clump of rust from a few pictures.

Upvote 0
Honestly, it looks like garbage :) Clean it with a grinder, then put an edge on it, then throw it high up into a tree... Well it really does look like an iron rail tie down for railroad rails. or a tree trimmer, so goes the saying, throw it up into the trees & call it solved :laughing9:

Upvote 0
kola_ken nailed it........my grandpa had one just like it. even had the triple attatchment plates to go on the wood. im sure someone will find a pic. but thats what it is for sure! lol and im seldom positive. dave

Upvote 0
Is that beer batter, or Shore Lunch?

Upvote 0
kola_ken nailed it........my grandpa had one just like it. even had the triple attatchment plates to go on the wood. im sure someone will find a pic. but thats what it is for sure! lol and im seldom positive. dave
Now that I see the pic, Ken nailed it. Its amazing to be able to ID a clump of rust.

Upvote 0
Bigcypresshunter said:
Now that I see the pic, Ken nailed it. Its amazing to be able to ID a clump of rust.

I found a rusted clump of rust by the Potomac river in Dumfries Va and brought it to a friend of mine that owned an antiques shop he did electrolysis on it and we discovered it was a 1700's flint lock pistol. It sucked though because it was too far gone.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back