I HAVE NO CLUE TO THIS STRANGEST

matsi-chris

May 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20180501_232536.jpgIMG_20180501_232223.jpgIMG_20180501_232303.jpgIMG_20180501_232706.jpgIMG_20180501_232725.jpgIMG_20180501_233331.jpgIMG_20180501_233033.jpgIMG_20180501_232857.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Nice piece of natural limestone. Very common around where I am. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Upvote 0
Kings... you sure ?

Looks like a piece of coral to me.

Upvote 0
nothing strange there, we had caves of this stuff at one of our ranches on the medina. Used to take that stuff and dried up elk horn to sell to city folks.

Upvote 0
Holey rock I think is what it was called back then. Used to get some of our best rattlers out of those caves too for the round up.

Upvote 0
Welcome from Mississippi.

Upvote 0
It's not sandstone or coral... It's a flint nodule.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it looks like flint too me i have seen that before i cant remember where though...

Upvote 0
Nice flint nodule, they are often found in organic shapes when formed in cavities left by ancient shallow sea life forms, e.g.,corals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These caused me much consternation as there are seaside areas near me literally covered with them, research showed me the closest source was western US, turns out, it was a popular as ships ballast stone in colonial times

Upvote 0
These caused me much consternation as there are seaside areas near me literally covered with them, research showed me the closest source was western US, turns out, it was a popular as ships ballast stone in colonial times

I vote banner for Steelheadwill just for using "consternation" in a sentence.

Upvote 0
matsi-chris,
"I HAVE NO CLUE TO THIS STRANGEST"

Can't help you without some location.
Shore ballast, French flint, fossilized coral from Florida, Texas chert ... the list is very long and dependent on location.

It's a big world, with rocks everywhere.
A clue would help.

se-1000.jpg

Upvote 0
How about we go with limestone with chert nodules protruding.

Upvote 0
I thought it looked like flint, but shaped like coral, could it be sea flint? Anyway, you could arm a lot of flintlocks with it!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back