I have a shotshell headstamp that is driving me nuts! Any help is appreciated.

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi All,

I have a headstamp that I need some help with. The headstamp reads WOOD in the 12:00 position and No. 10 in the 6:00 position. It has a circle around the outside of the lettering.

I am looking to find some history on this line of shells.

1. Who made it?
2. When was it made?

I am aware of the "Cartridge Corner's" entry on it. It states that it was produced by the Waterbury Brass Company, but I cannot find one piece of evidence to verify that. If it was made by them, why the New York headstamp (unless Wood was a re-seller similar to Squires).

If anyone has any information that they can share or any leads that they might be able to give me, I would truly appreciate it.

Below are two pics. The one with the blue background is my actual shotshell head and the other pic is from the Cartridge Corner Web site. It shows the headstamp a little better.

Thanks for your help.
Doug

Wood001.jpg Wood002.jpg

It's apparently made by the Waterbury Brass Company, and is apparently a pretty rare one..... I'll add more in a minute

Added: I am having a really hard time finding dating info on it, but it seems it could be as old as 1860-ish...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello TF. Great find and I love your shot shell site. I use it regularly. HH. C9

Upvote 0
Never thought of it referring to the powder that it might have been loaded with. I have seen more than one brand with "Walsrode" as the headstamp, referring to the powder that it was factory loaded with. I now have another avenue to explore.

Cambria09 -Thanks for the kind words. I am so behind and have so much work to get it where it really needs to be...

Thanks!
Doug

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back