I have a question about Great Seal buttons.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that the Great Seal button was adopted in 1902, and is still in use today, but aside from the backmark, is there any way to differentiate between a WWI button and a WWII button?

Were there any changes in button style or metals, etc?

Thanks.

I don't have any official source like a book or whatever, but my personal experience of digging them has been that the WW2 era ones have a much sharper relief of the eagle and the WW1 versions seem to have a broader border around the edge on the front. Seems like the WW1 versions are a tiny bit more flat/thin too

Upvote 0
From 1910-1923 a black finish was applied, and most usually some traces remain. But I too have wondered before if the specification for the metal were different, as the WWI with finish worn off always seem darker (more bronze like?), whether dug or not... not simply a darker older patina.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To add to nhbenz's reply, buttons made from 1910-1917 were either bronze or black, From 1917-1923 they were black only. So, since WW1 lasted from 1914 to 1918 there is no definite way to know if the button actually saw service during WW1. The backmark is the determining factor and there are few to none that fit into the time period of just WW1.
I get my information from "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their backmarks and dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce Bazelon.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back