Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those guys need to cut back on the caffeine! That gold coin is definitely a contemporary counterfeit, but still a cool find.

Reactions: ARC

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously a contemporary counterfeit, but they had a good day digging.

OP
OP

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those guys need to cut back on the caffeine! That gold coin is definitely a contemporary counterfeit, but still a cool find.
The only I would believe that would mean the whole hunt was staged.... and I don't believe it.......

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only I would believe that would mean the whole hunt was staged.... and I don't believe it.......

A contemporary counterfeit is one that was made during the time period of the original coin. Someone was trying to pull a fast one with that coin back in 1864. Not a modern day counterfeit...

OP
OP

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A contemporary counterfeit is one that was made during the time period of the original coin. Someone was trying to pull a fast one with that coin back in 1864. Not a modern day counterfeit...
But I never heard a contemporary counterfeit silver or gold coin made of silver or gold... they were plated... I even have a couple including a real nice 1803 Kettle token of a gold coin

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
41digger, that is a gold PLATED coin. Look closed at the high parts. They are a different color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread