🔎 UNIDENTIFIED I found this in Franklin county,Indiana. I Cut it to expose interior. A Meteorite possibly?🤷🏻‍♂️ Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

benjamin1981

Apr 20, 2023
149AAAEE-EBC8-4222-8CA5-8B1B03F8C9FF.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
Welcome..:hello:

FWIW, it's always better to put the text of your post in the post, and not in the title.

Gotta ask..what would cause you to believe this may be a meteorite?

Upvote 0
Welcome..:hello:

FWIW, it's always better to put the text of your post in the post, and not in the title.

Gotta ask..what would cause you to believe this may be a meteorite?
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I don’t necessarily believe it’s a meteorite. I hunt rocks and fossils so when I find unusual ones I try researching what they could possibly be and have came across a couple Universities who’s sites offer things to look for when trying to identify meteorites like streak test and magnet attraction and it passes both of those. There’s been a few other sights I’ve seen that explain some of the things to look for with the matrix and clast “not sure that’s the correct term”, and fracture cracks which helped lean me towards thinking that it could possible be a meteorite. Just figured it couldn’t hurt to make a post and get some opinions on it really. I appreciate you responding and any feed back you might have to offer as well.

Upvote 1
I don't see a "burn crust" on it. Not terribly conclusive however. That said, if it has nickel in it I'd say yes. Only an X ray diffraction test from a lab can reliably do that for you. I use John Attard of Attard's Minerals in San Diego for testing. When I first met John the tests were $45. They are now $100. I found my first and only specimen of cinnabar in California a few weeks ago. He has it for testing now. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 4
Welcome to Tnet. I don't see any definitive features for a meteorite, nor anything that would warrant progressing to expert confirmatory testing.

A positive result for nickel is not a definitive test for a rock being a meteorite unless the ratio of iron to nickel falls within a certain range and the nickel content in absolute terms is also within the characteristic range... and you certainly don't need to pay $100 for testing.

If you want a confirmatory test for a meteorite you need a laboratory with relevant expertise and I would recommend New England Meteoritical Services. Details at the link below:

Note that the $30 fee now covers the testing of eight specimens submitted in the same package... although in this case, I believe it would still be money wasted.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I don't see a "burn crust" on it. Not terribly conclusive however. That said, if it has nickel in it I'd say yes. Only an X ray diffraction test from a lab can reliably do that for you. I use John Attard of Attard's Minerals in San Diego for testing. When I first met John the tests were $45. They are now $100. I found my first and only specimen of cinnabar in California a few weeks ago. He has it for testing now. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the feedback and good luck on the test results you’re waiting to hear back about!!

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet. I don't see any definitive features for a meteorite, nor anything that would warrant progressing to expert confirmatory testing.

A positive result for nickel is not a definitive test for a rock being a meteorite unless the ratio of iron to nickel falls within a certain range and the nickel content in absolute terms is also within the characteristic range... and you certainly don't need to pay $100 for testing.

If you want a confirmatory test for a meteorite you need a laboratory with relevant expertise and I would recommend New England Meteoritical Services. Details at the link below:

Note that the $30 fee now covers the testing of eight specimens submitted in the same package... although in this case, I believe it would still be money wasted.
I appreciate the feed back and the info! The place you recommended sounds more than fair when it comes to their pricing and i definitely plan on looking into them. I may not send the rock above but I have a few others I’ve been curious about I might have them take a look at.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back