I Found My First Coin Cache, 11-May-2005: Updated with photo

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
I was out around 1/2 hour searching the river walk along the River Suir, and I decided to check a side path leading through a field. Around 20 meters in, I had a hit and started digging.
I found a plastic shopping back containg 63 coins, Irish pounds, half pounds, etc. They are not that old, we are on the Euro now, so most of them are from the early 1990's, but more than half are clad, and the face value is ? 36.70, or about $ 66.00.
It was just exciting to find my first cache on only my 5th time out, as I am a newbie.
Will post the photo later.

Cheers!

Attachments

• coin.JPG
    coin.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
Re: I Found My First Coin Cache, 11-May-2005

Very Nice DJ . That had to be exciting. Pluss 66 euro is like damn close to 100.00 US I have traveled Ireland and Am going to come back over next year I think. I have friends who live in Tubacury? anyway I also have some friends coming over for the annual Hike that is down near you. I think they stay south of Killarney and will be there for two weeks . I will get there schedules and let you know.HH

Floater said:
Very Nice DJ . That had to be exciting. Pluss 66 euro is like damn close to 100.00 US I have traveled Ireland and Am going to come back over next year I think. I have friends who live in Tubacury? anyway I also have some friends coming over for the annual Hike that is down near you. I think they stay south of Killarney and will be there for two weeks . I will get there schedules and let you know.HH

Excelent! You must meen Tubbercurry in County Sligo. Killarney is beautifull, it's along the Ring of Kerry. . You won't be very far, and I'd love a chance to show a fellow hunter some of the off the beaten track sites.

Grats,DJ.Look forward to the pics,HH

WTG!!

Attachments

• WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 560
  • WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 517

Fantastic find!!! Being on the euro, does that make those coins worthless as far as spendable money? I really don't know, and don't mean to be the downer here. But the thought occured to me. Of that being some destitute persons life savings. But like i said, i really don't know what the euro did to the worth of those coins. Hope i'm not misunderstood here. HH

rvbvetter said:
? ? Fantastic find!!!? ? ? ?Being on the euro, does that make those coins worthless as far as spendable money?? I really don't know, and don't? mean to be the downer here. But the thought occured to me. Of that being some destitute persons life savings. But like i said, i really don't know what the euro did to the worth of those coins.? Hope i'm not misunderstood here.? ? HH

I can still redeam them at the National Bank in Dublin. There is still a lot of old Irish money around.

Footnote: In Northern Ireland, they are not on the ?, they are on the NI ?. This past December, there was a bank raid, and the perpetrators got away with ? 27 Million in Northern Ireland bank notes. They have only recovered 200,000.
Can you imagine how much space ? 27 M in cash would take up?

Great find,,, WTG!!!
I was curious as to what it sounded like,,, must have hit like a canon going off, huh?

It was! Because I'm so new at metal detecting, I wasn't sure if it was another burried tyre rim or something when I started digging. As soon as I realized there were that many coins, I realized that playing your hunches is the way to go when your hunting.

WOW!! Great find!!!
Those top coins, are they half dollar size. Love pulling up a big coin. WTG!! HH

Nice find, congrats!! Can you take those older coins and change them into euros?

That is pretty cool that you can still trade them in. I lived in Germany when the Euro came out, and I believe you had a year ...and then after that all Deutsche marks became collector's items....

Why do you think was the origin of the cache? Lost, stolen? Was it buried?

Whatever the case: congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back