I found an empty pocket today .. ( a continuation of my cemetery restoration project)

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
... An empty pocket of air, that is! In the photo below, you will notice that the gravestone is tilted hard to the left. Also notice that there is a pine tree stump to the left end of the gravestone base, which is left over from a tree I removed early last year when I started the restoration project. I have dug down below the concrete footing that the gravestone and its base sit upon and have the sling in place, ready to lift it as a unit to the level position. This was done yesterday.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 6.04.44 PM.jpg

Today, I moved my skid steer into position, hooked up the sling, and lifted the stone to slightly above the level position. It was at this point I realized it was the tree stump that had prevented the stone from falling into the grave. There was nothing under it but an empty pocket of air that went down to the vault under the left 2/3 of the base. Now, the challenge was how to go about filling the void in a manner substantial enough to support the gravestone and its base.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 6.04.03 PM.jpg

My solution was to widen the front of the hole a bit, mix up a slurry of rock dust, sand, and fast-drying cement, and fill the void to a level I could work with. While it was drying, I went on and set a different stone. It took a while to accomplish this because I had to drill out one of the old pegs and replaced them both with fiberglass rebars.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 8.10.25 PM.jpg

After the stone was set, I went back to the other gravestone and finished the new base by playing stone mason and laying rock on the new foundation.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 6.03.26 PM.jpg

I then filled around the gravestone's base with gravel, covered by dirt, and tamped it down. The last task of the day was gently let the stone down, and remove my sling. Here is the end result.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 6.05.24 PM.jpg

Upvote 32
... An empty pocket of air, that is! In the photo below, you will notice that the gravestone is tilted hard to the left. Also notice that there is a pine tree stump to the left end of the gravestone base, which is left over from a tree I removed early last year when I started the restoration project. I have dug down below the concrete footing that the gravestone and its base sit upon and have the sling in place, ready to lift it as a unit to the level position. This was done yesterday.

View attachment 2062756

Today, I moved my skid steer into position, hooked up the sling, and lifted the stone to slightly above the level position. It was at this point I realized it was the tree stump that had prevented the stone from falling into the grave. There was nothing under it but an empty pocket of air that went down to the vault under the left 2/3 of the base. Now, the challenge was how to go about filling the void in a manner substantial enough to support the gravestone and its base.

View attachment 2062768

My solution was to widen the front of the hole a bit, mix up a slurry of rock dust, sand, and fast-drying cement, and fill the void to a level I could work with. While it was drying, I went on and set a different stone. It took a while to accomplish this because I had to drill out one of the old pegs and replaced them both with fiberglass rebars.

View attachment 2062769

After the stone was set, I went back to the other gravestone and finished the new base by playing stone mason and laying rock on the new foundation.

View attachment 2062770

I then filled around the gravestone's base with gravel, covered by dirt, and tamped it down. The last task of the day was gently let the stone down, and remove my sling. Here is the end result.

View attachment 2062771
Great work. And a great heart you have

View attachment 2062756

View attachment 2062768

View attachment 2062769

View attachment 2062770

View attachment 2062771
That looks great! We have a cemetery in the back from an old church next door. All we can do is take care of it. I say their names out loud because otherwise I feel like they might be forgotten. You're doing a great job.

View attachment 2062756

View attachment 2062768

View attachment 2062769

View attachment 2062770

View attachment 2062771
Very Cool!!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!!

Creskol you are a FANTASTIC person :) Thank you for caring 1!1

Great work. And a great heart you have
That looks great! We have a cemetery in the back from an old church next door. All we can do is take care of it. I say their names out loud because otherwise I feel like they might be forgotten. You're doing a great job.
Very Cool!!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!!
Creskol you are a FANTASTIC person :) Thank you for caring 1!1
Thanks everybody. I appreciate you all! :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back