I found a silver coin spill sandwiched in a money clip!

40 Rounds

Nov 26, 2016
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was gridding an old park in an area I had already hit when I got a decent signal on my Equinox 800. I can’t tell you what the VDI was because I didn’t really pay attention. It was a good signal so I dug. I popped the plug and saw a rusted metal band with round objects sticking out either side. I was excited to see roundness but figured they were clad as the rusted metal had leeched out over the possible coins. As I picked it up I started to see some silver edges. Excited I started to spray it down and sure enough it was 2 silver coins. I could see the P over the Monticello on the nickel so I knew it was a war nickel. The other silver was bigger and very worn. A little more water confirmed the bigger silver was an SLQ! I assume the rusted band was some sort of money clip. Thinking back on it now maybe there were some paper dollars in there too that rotted away. Either way a cool find! I considered leaving it as is for a short time but decided to separate them as the rust was tarnishing the coins severely. I have been soaking them in lemon juice for several days and have removed most of the rust. A 1943 P war nickel and a dateless SLQ. I also found a couple Mercury dimes at the same location but in different holes.

Attachments

• IMG_8607.jpeg
    IMG_8607.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8608.jpeg
    IMG_8608.jpeg
    622.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8609.jpeg
    IMG_8609.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8618.jpeg
    IMG_8618.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8636.jpeg
    IMG_8636.jpeg
    738.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8638.jpeg
    IMG_8638.jpeg
    699.2 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 38
I was gridding an old park in an area I had already hit when I got a decent signal on my Equinox 800. I can’t tell you what the VDI was because I didn’t really pay attention. It was a good signal so I dug. I popped the plug and saw a rusted metal band with round objects sticking out either side. I was excited to see roundness but figured they were clad as the rusted metal had leeched out over the possible coins. As I picked it up I started to see some silver edges. Excited I started to spray it down and sure enough it was 2 silver coins. I could see the P over the Monticello on the nickel so I knew it was a war nickel. The other silver was bigger and very worn. A little more water confirmed the bigger silver was an SLQ! I assume the rusted band was some sort of money clip. Thinking back on it now maybe there were some paper dollars in there too that rotted away. Either way a cool find! I considered leaving it as is for a short time but decided to separate them as the rust was tarnishing the coins severely. I have been soaking them in lemon juice for several days and have removed most of the rust. A 1943 P war nickel and a dateless SLQ. I also found a couple Mercury dimes at the same location but in different holes.
Awesome findsđź‘Ť!!

That's a cool recovery, that you dug.

Probably the iron clip threw off the target ID and sound on detectors, so it was a pass.
Definitely! I know I looked at the VDI and was not excited by the numbers it read but the sound was too good to pass up. It was right next to another of my dig holes so I might have heard it on another pass and removed some additional iron that made it sound better later, who knows. Either way glad I dug and got a sweet reward! It really gets the mind turning on how many iffy good targets we pass over lol!

Definitely! I know I looked at the VDI and was not excited by the numbers it read but the sound was too good to pass up. It was right next to another of my dig holes so I might have heard it on another pass and removed some additional iron that made it sound better later, who knows. Either way glad I dug and got a sweet reward! It really gets the mind turning on how many iffy good targets we pass over lol!
I guess we all can get a tad jaded/lazy/over confident when it comes to digging targets.

Seen the results countless times where the same dirt has been detected many times and a newbie comes along and recovers a sweet keeper.
Often it's just a bunch of factors
Machine, angle, settings, swing speed, moisture.

Results is a memory of the keeper.
Congratulations again on digging it up.

That definitely doesn't happen often. I hear you on vid not being great. Happen with a circa 1964 wallet I found once. I was getting the snap button. Wallet had disintegrated pretty much and it's coin were near by all on top of each other. Pin pointer found them.

Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Score! very cool find and recovery, wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back