I found a bullet and cant ID it

TheDetectorist

Greenie
Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys the other day I found a bullet while metal detecting. Not sure what it is and was hoping you could help! My friends suggest that it is a .45 lead slug, but every time I look it up nothing comes up looking like it. It weighs 52 grams, and the full caliber was .477, but I averaged it to .452. Here are the pictures: IMG_9489.JPGIMG_9497.JPGIMG_9493.JPG Thanks :)

Your friend is pretty much right. Roundnose soft-lead slug, post CW, could be one of a couple different variations of the .45 made since the 1870's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I looked it up and I'm pretty sure it is, but just to make sure do you know where I could find a picture of the bullet. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Does that have a hollow base? It reminds me of one I found from the 1870's.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418519902.057626.jpg

Upvote 0
Colt .45 lead bullets had a flat-tipped nose by 1875.
THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR
The earliest documentation I can find for an American-made bullet with "reeded/knurled" body-grooves (having multiple tiny parallel ridges in the grooves) is 1877. So, I don't think TheDetectorist's lead reeded/knurled-grooves bullet (which has some impact-damage on its nose) was a rounded-nosed one... but instead, its nose had a small-ish flat tip, as you see in the UMC-marked cartridges in the photo below.
THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR
(Scroll down to the 2nd half of that webpage.)

Attachments

• cartridge_POSTWAR_Colt45revolver_1880s-1890s_UMC45SW.jpg
    cartridge_POSTWAR_Colt45revolver_1880s-1890s_UMC45SW.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks!! But do you still think it might be from the colt just a later version? By the way OD my bullet had hollow base and it is just a little bit smaller than yours.

Upvote 0
Hey CBG I found a picture of colt ammunition from 1873/74 take a look. The one on the left looks more like mine. :) Colt_.45_LC_Cartridges[1].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back