I Found $550 in Real MASONIC and Civil War Vets GOLD

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a pretty incredible haul of gold I got from a flea market. It was over a $500 profit in just the gold value. The seller had a bin full of miscellaneous trinkets, but one item sitting on top caught my eye before my hand even reached the bin. The first piece I saw was the hanging medal. I could tell it was gold before even touching it. The craftsmanship and quality of the engraving confirmed it once I got a closer look. The next item I saw was the Masonic square and compasses pin, then the gold Civil War vet’s badge.

The owner almost caught onto the finds and took a closer look before mentioning she wasn’t sure if they were gold or not. She was debating selling them and my heart sank like a stone in water. However, she figured she would let all the items go for $50. If you want to hear more about the story, find out the history behind each pin or learn a bit more about identifying gold jewelry then check out the video. Thanks.

This was my favorite piece. Unmarked, but tested 14k.
1721508034479.png

Some are from Oddfellows lodge.
FLT = Friendship, Love, Truth.
The square and compasses (with the “G”) appears to be Masonic and Oddfellows together. The 3 chain links (below compasses) is a symbol from Oddfellows.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the information. I looked into the relationship of the Freemasons and Independent Order of Odd Fellows a bit more just now.

1721511145796.png

Can you venture any guesses to why that lapel pin shares both symbols? Maybe the owner was a member of both (if that is even allowed?) or there is Masonic subset that is closely connected to the Odd Fellows?

Thanks again for the information. I looked into the relationship of the Freemasons and Independent Order of Odd Fellows a bit more just now.

View attachment 2159809

Can you venture any guesses to why that lapel pin shares both symbols? Maybe the owner was a member of both (if that is even allowed?) or there is Masonic subset that is closely connected to the Odd Fellows?
My paternal grandfather was a member of both, in New Hampshire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back