I.D. help on todays N.C. find

ForumRunner_20130614_202911.png

ForumRunner_20130614_203125.png

ForumRunner_20130614_203216.png

It looks almost like the Mccorkel that Joe found at my house. The first pic. Has a long (I don't know what to call it) above the notch. I think the other side had that, but was lost during reworking. May be a started rework? I've never seen any point like it honestly. I thought an eccentric of sorts at first, but doubt that now.

Yeah I found it 200 feet from the back porch...walked a little today for about 15 20 mins....that's about all I can stand at one time with the ol hip...very odd piece def not broken on the other side...could have been messed up during production like you said rusty....very cool piece though... I hardly find any material in that field everything I find is worked, broken or a point only picked up about 2 dozen pieces out there.....I think it is either a large lecroy or kirk stemmed-bifurcated

I can't help out too much on that one either. It looks like there is many possibilities; for example, Kirk Serrated-Bifurcated, Stanley, Savannah River & even a McCorkle also. I have a McCorkle but it's not from NC. That material looks like black rhyolite, is that what it is? I can't really see from the picture, but if it's black rhyolite I would automatically think it's older than late archaic. Nice finds!

I can't help out too much on that one either. It looks like there is many possibilities; for example, Kirk Serrated-Bifurcated, Stanley, Savannah River & even a McCorkle also. I have a McCorkle but it's not from NC. That material looks like black rhyolite, is that what it is? I can't really see from the picture, but if it's black rhyolite I would automatically think it's older than late archaic. Nice finds!

It is a material that I rarely find...it is kinda like that metisilkstone Spell? (The green stone we find here in nc) but it is some what translucent on the edges and its more glassy like flint...so idk I'm awful with lithics in my area something I am trying to work on

I'm not sure what age period that material normally occurs in your area. That may be the clue to help you type this better. From the pictures provided, I will guess Kirk, Stanley, or Big Sandy. I actually had a point in my collection with the same details as yours with a missing shoulder. I couldn't type it either but I know it had definitely been reworked.

I'm not sure what age period that material normally occurs in your area. That may be the clue to help you type this better. From the pictures provided, I will guess Kirk, Stanley, or Big Sandy. I actually had a point in my collection with the same details as yours with a missing shoulder. I couldn't type it either but I know it had definitely been reworked.

Pretty sure I can rule big sandy out...but def kirk or large lecroy in mind

It is a material that I rarely find...it is kinda like that metisilkstone Spell? (The green stone we find here in nc) but it is some what translucent on the edges and its more glassy like flint...so idk I'm awful with lithics in my area something I am trying to work on

I rarely find that lithic in NC either. Just over the line in VA. It's more abundant. It's a flint I'm pretty sure. You don't hear that because people refuse to say NC flint or chert. I'm not sure why. I normally find this lithic on rivers. It may not be NC flint but trade material.

I rarely find that lithic in NC either. Just over the line in VA. It's more abundant. It's a flint I'm pretty sure. You don't hear that because people refuse to say NC flint or chert. I'm not sure why. I normally find this lithic on rivers. It may not be NC flint but trade material.

Took the words out of my mouth! I feel it is a true flint! But it is hard to say bc it is from (nc) def feeling the lecroy family

Took the words out of my mouth! I feel it is a true flint! But it is hard to say bc it is from (nc) def feeling the lecroy family

I believe that the green metasiltsone originated from the Uwharrie Mtn area. It is a pretty rare lithic material that is very similar to a high quality chert. It probably started as early archaic point (Kirk).

Last edited:
Base is right for a lecroy but what big ears. It's a dandy though.

Looks like Lecroy related piece. The lithic I believe is rhyolite, we find a lot of that here in Central NC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back