I can dig it (I hope)

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I had a very solid 73 ID on my Simplex. It said it was deep. I was down over 1 ft in an 18” diameter hole and had only found 1 square nail. Pinpointer kept going nuts. Finally started finding pieces of orange brick; the old, rotten crumbling kind. I’m now at an assortment of iron. Apparently barrel hoops, machine parts and more brick. I don’t take my phone out when MDing my yard. No pics. I will post some later. I’ll continue the dig tonight or tomorrow and will get photos. I feel like I’m digging a cellar. 😊

Upvote 12
I’m going to see if it is the outhouse site. I’m guessing just a dozer pile, but I might get lucky. Thanks
Now the outhouse was always a tad away from the door.
Edge of the yard type place, at least ours was, now I know a few things dropped in there-but a 1/2 century isn't long enough for a retrieval. :laughing7:

I had a very solid 73 ID on my Simplex. It said it was deep. I was down over 1 ft in an 18” diameter hole and had only found 1 square nail. Pinpointer kept going nuts. Finally started finding pieces of orange brick; the old, rotten crumbling kind. I’m now at an assortment of iron. Apparently barrel hoops, machine parts and more brick. I don’t take my phone out when MDing my yard. No pics. I will post some later. I’ll continue the dig tonight or tomorrow and will get photos. I feel like I’m digging a cellar. 😊
Hope it pans out!! Good Luck!!

I used to avoid those situations when I was green, because I had a fancy detector which was supposed to eliminate the detection of such "junk". Now I specifically look for those signals. I have experienced similar circumstances on a number of occasions, and have found a number of trash pits that way. I am glad you are going to keep digging. It doesn't matter if it is an official trash pit, or a filled in cellar, as long as there was a low area at one time they likely threw trash in there. The square nail is an excellent sign. Tin food cans are another excellent sign. I will keep my fingers crossed that you find a few nice old bottles. Man, this is exciting!

I used to avoid those situations when I was green, because I had a fancy detector which was supposed to eliminate the detection of such "junk". Now I specifically look for those signals. I have experienced similar circumstances on a number of occasions, and have found a number of trash pits that way. I am glad you are going to keep digging. It doesn't matter if it is an official trash pit, or a filled in cellar, as long as there was a low area at one time they likely threw trash in there. The square nail is an excellent sign. Tin food cans are another excellent sign. I will keep my fingers crossed that you find a few nice old bottles. Man, this is exciting!
Thank you for the positive comments. I’ll probably start digging again tomorrow

Up-date: not much to tell. After a lot of digging I got a pile of orange bricks (not shown), some iron straps and some heavy cast iron. I’m guessing car or machinery frame pieces. Doesn’t appear to be an old cellar or outhouse site; just more bulldozed junk.

Attachments

• 5991AAFB-2630-4C8A-B56C-0A2F6C217A89.jpeg
    5991AAFB-2630-4C8A-B56C-0A2F6C217A89.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • C3765AC9-D0D5-4313-A4DA-056C8A0F5819.jpeg
    C3765AC9-D0D5-4313-A4DA-056C8A0F5819.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back