I am new to metal detectors. Help me decide which one to get

Jul 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am new to treasure hunting and metal detecting. I need help deciding which detector to get. Budget is $350. Here are the ones I am considering
-Fisher F2
-Fisher F4
-Garret Ace 250
-Garret Ace 350

Can someone explain the difference between the Fisher F2 and F4.....and the Ace 250 and 350

Thanks.

p.s. I think they're all waterproof. I want one that can go in water if need be. Fresh water/salt water

Also what is the difference between cocentric coils and DD coils?

Double-D.jpgConcentric Coils.jpgHi User and welcome to Tnet
On the detectors you list none are waterproof...just the coils.
Gary

Last edited:
Other than that, this question with the same list comes up twice a week...There are PLENTY of threads out there. If you do a search you'll have enough reading material for several hours!
Good luck!

Hi, I am new to treasure hunting and metal detecting. I need help deciding which detector to get. Budget is $350. Here are the ones I am considering
-Fisher F2
-Fisher F4
-Garret Ace 250
-Garret Ace 350

Can someone explain the difference between the Fisher F2 and F4.....and the Ace 250 and 350

Thanks.

p.s. I think they're all waterproof. I want one that can go in water if need be. Fresh water/salt water

Also what is the difference between cocentric coils and DD coils?
Fisher Lab's F2 | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/f4-field-test
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-electronics-ace-250
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-electronics-ace-350-0
Only the coils are water proof, the control boxes aren't. There is a difference too in what detectors work in fresh water and which ones work in salt water. You need to do a lot of reading about detectors and the places they can be used. A lot of us have been at this hobby for over 30 year or more. Those links I listed only tell the differences between those models and these are only the land detectors.

Last edited:
Ace 250 vs 350:

The main difference between the two is that the ace 350 comes stock with garrett's large DD coil and the 250 has a medium sized concentric coil. However, it can be purchased for the 250 as well and it automatically turn the 350 into a "super" detector.

Better value: ace 250

Fisher f2 vs f4:
-f4 has adjustable ground balance, the f2's ground balance is fixed.
-the f4 comes stock with a much better coil (the 11in. DD)
-F4 has better separation and depth (thanks to its coils)
-F4 is twice as expensive

Winner: F4

Ace 250 vs fisher f4:
I'll make this short and sweet- F4 ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps!
C4C

The only machine I wouldn't consider myself is an Ace. Never tried an F4 but have heard good things.
Check out a Tesoro Vaquero.

Of the detectors that you have listed I would favour the F4 for a couple of reasons.
1. It has manual Ground balance which will give you better depth of detection in most ground conditions than a machine with Fixed GB.
2. The F4 has an 11 segment target ID display which gives a better indication of what your target could be.
2. It has four tone target ID

The detecting ability of the F2 is about the same as the F4 with the exception that this detector has an 8 segment target ID display and it has a Fixed Ground Balance level which means the detector will work fine in a wide range of ground minerals but at a slightly lesser depth capability than if you had Manual Ground Balance. Also if the ground is highly mineralised this detector can go quiet and be not be achieving much depth at all.

Visual target Identification displays can save you a lot of trash digging but every now and again it is wise to check some of the target signals that display as a junk target because many gold, small silver, Platinum and Stainless Steel items will signal down in the iron/foil region.

Tesoro Vaquaro is nice. You cannot go wrong with this detector. This detector does not have the visual readouts like the F2 & F4 but it has great detecting ability

None of the detectors listed will work all that good in wet salt beach sand but are fine in the dry sand

The coils are water proof but not the detectors

Last edited:
Ace 250 vs 350:

The main difference between the two is that the ace 350 comes stock with garrett's large DD coil and the 250 has a medium sized concentric coil. However, it can be purchased for the 250 as well and it automatically turn the 350 into a "super" detector.

Better value: ace 250

Personally, if you choose the Garrett 250 and plan on buying the DD coil, just get the 350 that comes stock with the DD and has slightly better iron discrimination and frequency. However, I agree with crazy, I would go F4 if you have your mind set on these four machines! Also consider getting a quality pin pointer, you'll thank yourself later on! Good luck!

As Ronnie said the vaquero is a super deep machine but it comes with a manual ground balance. If your not sure you want one with manual ground balance I would pick up a cibola they are also great machines with a lifetime warranty.

There is a major difference between a detector used in fresh water and one used in salt water...... Salt water requires multifreq or pulse induction to see through the salt minerals, single freg detector will constantly false thinking the salt minerals is metal everywhere....

Well said treasure hunter;)

Just my 2 cents ------ I really liked my ACER 350 It was a great entry detector and worked well on dry sand beach, woods and general areas, I got mine for $340 and really gave it a beating . Always rode in the back of the car, banged around , get a little wet, still worked like a charm ----- Sold it for 175 , 3 years later
I am far from a tech guy , I purchased it because It had the head already on it
If you get disgusted with the hobby you dont have a major investment and an easy resale Good Luck

Just my 2 cents ------ I really liked my ACER 350 It was a great entry detector and worked well on dry sand beach, woods and general areas, I got mine for $340 and really gave it a beating . Always rode in the back of the car, banged around , get a little wet, still worked like a charm ----- Sold it for 175 , 3 years later
I am far from a tech guy , I purchased it because It had the head already on it
If you get disgusted with the hobby you dont have a major investment and an easy resale Good Luck

Oh, definitely! I wasn't bashing the 350, I had just heard from many others that the 250 was a better value (the 350 just has the DD coil) than the 350. But I'm sure that they're both great detectors!

This post has actually really helped ME... I also am looking to purchase an MD and had my sights set on an F4 too. All of you guys pretty much answered all of my questions. Looks like I'll be a proud owner soon!!! Thanks you guys!!!

Get on Craig's list and find a used AT pro. I love mine

Air Force & Coast Guard Vet, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back