I am going to Grigoripol, Moldova. I know I can bring my detector but...

ace1968

May 21, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3000, ATPro, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think I anyone will say anything about me detecting next to the Dniester River. The river is down and I planned to hunt on the exposed river floor. My wife is from there and I asked her sister but she said she have never seen anyone metal detecting - most people there do not have much money so it may be nobody has a detector. Any advice is appreciated.

Upvote 1
Go for it! Never know until ya try.

Do you think I anyone will say anything about me detecting next to the Dniester River. The river is down and I planned to hunt on the exposed river floor. My wife is from there and I asked her sister but she said she have never seen anyone metal detecting - most people there do not have much money so it may be nobody has a detector. Any advice is appreciated.

I don't know. But I'd suggest checking the law of the land first. Ever see the series, "Locked Up Abroad"? Penalties maybe worse than imagined, especially by the people of this, the land of the "free".

Be careful!
HH!

Just check with the dude from turkey in general discussion. He knows all about being hunting abroad.

There's a load of detecting going on and the country is regarded as having one of the highest density of archaelogical sites in Europe (over 8000 but out of bounds). I sold a detector to a user there some years back and he wasn't having problems as long as long as farmers permission was obtained and you did not expect to detect at certain stages of the crops. He was pleased that "he didn't have to pay a bribe to get the detector " !!!

Russian is the main language but no problem for you, having family there. Ask your wifes sister to start asking for permission. Can't get her in trouble to ask and if there's going to be any problems being a local she is certain to be warned.

Were you able to bring your detector into Moldova? From what I understand, they were having a lot of problems with people looting archaeological sites so they banned the use and possession of metal detectors in 2011.
I may have to spend quite a bit of time in Moldova for work so I'd like to bring my detector if possible.

I would just know the local laws before you start. The penalties just wont be worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back