Hyvis Motor Oil Mileage Meter Coin

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
Anybody ever heard of these? I researched on the internet and seems quite common from the 40's or 50's. I've never seen one before. I found it at an old school. It was on edge and got a signal that bounced from silver to nickle and everything in between. So I was curious and dug it. My heart kind of jumped when I first saw it, thought it was some old large coin. Sorry there's nothing for scale in photos but I downloaded these off the internet, the coin I found is very discolored and did not photgraph well. It's a little larger than a silver dollar.

Attachments

• hyvis1.jpg
    hyvis1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 770
  • hyvis2.jpg
    hyvis2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 869
Yep. I found one about a year and a half ago and it is one of my favorite finds. It cleaned up real nice. I found it at the base of a tree on a vacant corner lot. I was told that years ago there was a gas station there. It was one of the first finds with my GTI 2500 I think, and it showed up on the silver dollar icon and sounded like silver. Great find, not worth a whole lot but there are several collectors of petroleum industry tokens. Monty

Upvote 0
I found 1 of those in New Plymouth Idaho nice find. ;D....aa

Upvote 0
The coin (medal) I found advertises piston rings, but its from the same time period, similar in form and design, these must have been a popular way of adbvertising or sales gimick, no commercial value, just a medallion.........

Upvote 0
Found one today in Webster, MA. It was all corroded similar to a large cent and all I could make out at first was 00. Was thinking it read 1/100....heart sunk when I saw it was a token. Still a cool find though.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back