HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_0268.JPGHey everyone and hope everyone is having good finds lately, Since this is my first post here I am a 30 year old half Indian and been relic hunting with the same Fisher 1266x since I was 14 years old, Have hunted several times and learned most of my techniques from Dennis Cox (very known relic hunter) who I owe 60% of my finds from and most importantly all my confederate finds..

I been digging out hut sites mainly in union camps for the past couple weeks now.. Today i was in a union camp digging out a hut site in some of the richest soil I ever seen. Was having real good success with this camp i am in, which relic hunters have covered about 100% of the ground in that area but all but a few have gotten into the hut sites. This is a picture of a artifact i dug deep in the hutsite, it gave a fairly trashy but not fully trash signal (with my fisher 1266x which I think is the best detector for hut sit digging) so I decided to pull it up, have no clue what this could be but the soil kept it in tact!! I always tell myself I am killing myself spending hours diggin out union hut sites but i still get thrilled digging union stuff, though like everyone else I could use more confederate artifacts.

So any clue what this could be? never dug anything like it! It seems to be wood with leather with some sort of metal art on it.

100_0266.JPG100_0267.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
piece of a shoe,or brogan

Hey, there's nothing wrong with digging those Yankee hut sites. We dig them alot and make some neat finds. Just remember, those northern boys collected Reb stuff during the war and inevitably lost it too. Sometimes, in their huts. As far as your find goes we need a sharper image and what kind of material you think it is. Kinda looks like a leather heel or shoesole.

Kugar is exactly right on his ID. Piece of shoe. Tennessee digger

Hey your right about that there is nothing better than digging a US plate in a hut site and going OH man just another union hut site then on your last signal you find a Ohio plate!

Here is a pic of the other piece of the artifact i found i think you all are right looking like a possible shoe, this soil i am digging in is down in a creek by the potomac river.... richest soil maybe in the whole state of virginia!

100_0269.JPG100_0270.JPG

From what I can tell from that pic it looks like a toe tap, aka toe plate.

1st item looks like a piece off of a kerosene lamp. the bottom piece that the glass globe sits in.

yep was looking at some Toe plate pictures, have never dug a toe plate though a buckle would have been better it still amazes me i find stuff i have no clue what it is, hopefully tomorrow will bring me a plate i am looking for! Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back