Hurricane panning technique

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was watching old episodes of gold rush and saw Dakota Fred swirling a pan and called it the hurricane technique.
I wouldn't trust it to pan like that all the time as it seemed like more of a trick then anything else but I'd love to learn how to do it.
I've tried looking around the net and can't find anything about it.
Does anyone know how this is done?
Thanks

Upvote 0
This is used because they classify to many mesh sizes the slightly coarser mesh will catch larger gold , pyrite and lighter rocks while allowing the black sand to fall through. The pyrite is the densest thing besides the gold and therefore sit on top of it. The technique is for show. Simple panning will remove it just fine.

The fastest and most efficient gold panner i ever saw didn't waste time classifying anything. He'd dump the unclassified dirt in his pan and place the pan underwater giving it a few side to side shakes. Sometimes he'd tap the pan on the side. Liftng the pan out of the water and pouring off some water, he'd rake his palm across the top of the dirt depositing it on his tailing pile. Satisfied he'd got most of the big rocks out, he then started sloughing gravel sized rocks out the end of the pan over the riffles using a whole body rocking motion. I never saw him swirl the water in a pan until he caught sight of gold in his riffles. He always removed the gold particles the instant he saw them. Saving the finer clean-up for later and content for the moment the gold was captured. Honestly i was a little taken back by this technique at first glance. It seemed sloppy and hurried. Then i compared his production to mine (using a large Keen Stream Sluice). The Ole Timer was getting 50% more gold than i was from the same hole. The rate this guy could pan was astonishing. I even asked to check his tailing pile by running some of it through my sluice. NUTHIN. ZIP ! Nad'da. Not even a micro fine particle out of a five gallon bucket of tailings.

lol I need to Hire that guy^:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back