buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Upvote 0
Re: Hunting Gettysburg?

I had a discussion with another THer on another forum about this. He mentioned he knew one of those old timers who hunted there(Gettysburg?) before it was illegal. Detected at those well maintained grass- monument sites we see today. The time frame we were discussing was the late 50's when the Park Rangers didn't mind. I guess finding several belt plates a day was just a common experience.

The old timers said the CW Centennial killed it for them 1961-1964 with the rapid increase in new detectorists. While CW battlefield detecting in the mid 60's I got to meet one of those old timers. He showed me his CW collection which was awe inspiring and incredible. Incredible amount of plates, gun parts, shells, etc and even a sword. Yep- I was 10 years too late. I should have talked him into selling me a couple of those Confederate plates(he had enough of them) at the time.

George

Re: Hunting Gettysburg?

:o Thanks, George! It must have been awe-inspiring to hunt on Sacred Grounds like that! Back then, I was in HS & only reading about the CW!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back