Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

Today I went back to recheck a yard I searched several times since the summer in my favorite old neighborhood. I found out that if I hang around an area I know has some great potential, eventually I meet other people in the area.

As I was at the site, an older woman who lived next door came over to ask what I was looking for. I told her who I was and what I was doing, and told her about this hobby of mine. I've done this many times during the last few months and have gotten pretty good at "reading" people's facial expressions, actions and even their eye movements to see if there may be a chance to gain permission to check yet another yard in the same area. She seemed really receptive so I asked if I could check her yard while I was there..she said sure go ahead.

I asked her how long she lived at her residence and she told me she moved there in 1954. This was not the best news, since I'm used to coming across the most finds in areas that have been occupied by many families over the years. I did manage to find 6 wheats (the oldest a 1919) and tried hard to find one single silver coin, but no luck (I found a Merc dime right at the property line in September).

F4.jpg

I also found these 4 old bullets:

F1.jpg

I was looking at the house on the other side of her yard and asked who lived there..she said she was good friends with the people there and that they had just moved to another area but still have the house. I told her I'd love to check that yard also and she told me she'd ask them for me. I left her my name and number and the last thing she said was she'd give me a call!

I can't tear myself from that neighborhood because of all the good coins I found there over the summer..maybe eventually I'll get to know more people who live there.

HH,
Nat

Upvote 0
Sure sounds like your technique is paying off in staying near that older nieghborhood! Wheats are better than nothing and now you have another potential dig site!!

6 wheates thats cool and great finds.Keep going back and find some more silver,Their has to be some their.Good luck on your next hunt.

GREAT bullets, Nat! 8) Like those wheats too. Congrats on getting those new sites to hunt. :)

Nana

Good Job Buddy! The wheats aren't anything to bawk at either! Hope you find lots of goodies!!

HH,
Moon

Thanks for your replies..I'll post if I get another chance to hunt in that area.

Nick, I think wadcutters are flat rather than conical ??? These almost look like black powder loads.

Nat

Nice finds Natman---Has to be some silver there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back