Hull-shaped stone with black scratches around the top.

Apr 8, 2013
Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hull-shaped stone with black 'scratches' around the top.

I found this stone several years ago while collecting river-rocks from a dam runoff. At the time I just thought it looked like a cool, unusal stone, but since coming to this site and clicking through page after page, and seeing various Indian artifacts, I thought that I might have something here more than just a cool looking rock.

What most intrigues me are the black "scratches" around the top. Please pardon the lowish quality pictures, but they should suffice. What you may not be able to see is that those black lines around the top are actually scratches with what appears to be some kind of black material added to colour it.

... Or this is just a cool rock shaped by the flowing water.

sp copy.jpgT.jpgB.jpgOS copy.jpgS.jpg

here is my best guess.
when a rock mass is formed it is molten.The majority of material present is called the parent rock.heat and pressure during the cooling process can and often does lay any other material out in sills,dikes or veins.These veins create natural cleavage planes and can be remarkably straight at times.Your stone appears to be the result of that cleavage process and eventually could repeat along upper cleavage line.The straighter the line...the weaker the seam.

Upvote 0
here is my best guess.
when a rock mass is formed it is molten.The majority of material present is called the parent rock.heat and pressure during the cooling process can and often does lay any other material out in sills,dikes or veins.These veins create natural cleavage planes and can be remarkably straight at times.Your stone appears to be the result of that cleavage process and eventually could repeat along upper cleavage line.The straighter the line...the weaker the seam.

Thanks for your information. Looks like I have a paperweight. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back