huge spider

Fishenfool

Feb 28, 2008
Salem, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, V3, BH
Was filling up my Vac Truck at a hydrant when this spider ran out from under the hydrant. Had to jump out the way because I thought he was gonna knock me over. Ran up and set on a 4x4 post where I took this picture with my phone. Can anyone tell me what kind of monster this is? 1.jpg

possibly huntsman spider, but I don't think they get that big. cane spiders are huge, but I don't think they are in Or. & I can't find a pic of one. glad it didn't carry you away.

I don't know what kind it is, but it gives me the heebie jeebies just looking at it.

Screw that I would have screamed like a little girl if that thing ran towards me :laughing7:

Looks to be some variety of wolf spider. I've never seen one with that long of legs though.

Oh please without a ruler he could be the size of a dime, we'll never know! JOKING!!!!!! Spiders are ok as long as they stay where they are and just let me take pics of them, once they start moving towards me, it's a whole other story! : )

Believe that is a female Hobo spider - Tegenaria agrestis - and they can give a nasty bite!

Glad you id'd him cause I went to go and try and find out what he was and got freaked out by looking at all the spider pics-thanks for saving me from spending more time doing that!

Yeah, and I just copied this from the Internet:

Life Cycle
The female hobo spider remains stationary in her web; therefore, the male must search for her. He bobs and taps at the funnel web’s entrance in a specific pattern that alternates with advances and retreats. If signals are not clear, she may attack or kill him. If she is responsive (no aggression), he slowly adds silk to her web and gradually approaches her. After mating, he usually leaves in search of other females.

I now see that the male hobo spider has to be VERY careful when communicating with the female. One wrong "message" and his tail is toast.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

It's probably a Giant European house spider. They are the control predator for Hobo spiders, both of which have been accidentally imported into the west coast ports by shipping. The GEHS are not poisonous to humans, and since they prey on Hobos, which are, they should be left to go about their business. Darned scary-looking, though...LOL
Jim

Black Widow Living in my Chair

Today, I found this black widow and her husband plus their "dinner" living in an outdoor chair on my porch. Fortunately, I spotted them before sitting down. I sprayed everywhere to wipe out any lurking family members
which I DID find. brown_widow_2012_chair3.jpg

Attachments

• brown_widow_july_09_arrows.jpg
    brown_widow_july_09_arrows.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 413
Today, I found this black widow and her husband plus their "dinner" living in an outdoor chair on my porch. Fortunately, I spotted them before sitting down. I sprayed everywhere to wipe out any lurking family members which I DID find.

Like the "dinner" pic-funny

Here's a photo I took of the big ones we get down here-

They're called banana spiders-

spider.jpg

And here is a photo off google pics for size reference-

banana-spider.jpg

Their bite is milder than a bee sting. It's the brown recluse you gotta watch out for... well, besides that black widow siz3petite posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back