✅ SOLVED Huge bullets found in canal (Please Help Identify)

I'm thinking they might be 20 mm.......Clean up the bottom of the shell casing and see what the headstamp says. Headstamp sometimes contains the caliber, DOM, or arsenal made at etc.

ETA: Where's my manners......Welcome to the forums, from Panama City, Florida.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe 20 mm.......clean up the bottom of the shell casing and see what the headstamp says.

Bullet 1 Headstamp - IVI 60
Bullet 2 Headstamp - IK 12 50

The metal clip attached to bullets stamp -DSB2

Upvote 0
Thank you for the kind welcome! I hope you are having a great day :hello:

Upvote 0
Ik is coming back as Igman Zavod, Konjic, Yugoslavia
IVI is coming back as Industrie Valcartier Incorporee, Canada

IVI 60 maybe dated 1960
Ik 12 50 maybe dated Dec 1950

50 caliber is more than likely, just looked too big compared to the hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since the MFT were on opposing sides during the war, I would have say post-war era .oops, I didn't read ffuries ppost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd say Igman 50 BMG

Upvote 0
In your hand, they look larger than a .50 BMG (12,7 bullet diameter).

My Guess is would be some kind of 20 mm ammo (2 cm bullet diameter).

Careful! This is large enough to to have nasty loads (exploding, phosphorous). Maybe you dont want to have it in your house. Also someone dumped it into canal -> he or she wanted to get rid of it.

The Ivi plant that Ffurie mentioned was using the stamp (1977–1991; 1989–Present) according to wiki.

Welcome to T-net.

Greets

Namxat

Upvote 0
It has struck primers so either they are duds or souvenir links. Also strange that linked rounds would have grossly different headstamps

Upvote 0
fIRST TIME OUT ON A HUNT id say you were pretty successful

My second throw in with my first ever magnet and I find those 2 beauty’s
I must be a natural born treasure hunter just like you guys
:occasion14:

Upvote 0
Welcome BDZ and congrats! I bet that guy got nervous when he had to clear that gun the second time!

Upvote 0
It has struck primers so either they are duds or souvenir links. Also strange that linked rounds would have grossly different headstamps

Excellent obversation! A third strange thing is that this seems to a disintegrating belt. So if it went through the gun it shouldnt be linked together in the first place. Seems more and more to me if somebody took used Bullets, casings and links and put it again together for deco or training purposes.

The belt marking is seemingly not a WW2 American 50. belt:

WWII 50 Caliber Links

I think this is Vulcan 20m anyway.

P.S/offtopic: The pages on the site on both the links and the 50 Headstamps are imho the best for identifing American 50ies from the second WW.

Greets Namxat

Upvote 0
I agree. I think this was a souvenir piece. Those are definitely disintegrating links. How it ended up under a bridge is anyone’s guess.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the solid information.

I have also come to the conclusion these must be a souvenir.
How or why they got under the canal bridge we will never know!

If I find anything else I can not identify I will post another topic with the item/items :occasion18:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back