Howdy from Central Texas!

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a great site with very experienced and accomplished members! So many interesting threads to read on a wide range of topics. Ive been lurking for a few weeks and finally had to join.

I work in Aerial mapping and have a small amount of land surveying experience so if anyone is interested in cartography or related topics I would be happy to offer my two cents. I am interested in shallow water detecting w/ snorkel. Also in tracking down old dirt roads, trails, railroads and their depots, stagecoach stops, and the like. Battlefields, ghost towns, prospecting, you name it and I'm game.

How did I come into this hobby? I had a metal detector when I was a kid and enjoyed it a great deal. I grew up, got married, and have a wonderful kiddo of my own. A few months ago I was giving my dog a bath in the back yard and my wedding ring slipped off. Looked around for a while with no luck and decided I needed to rent a metal detector. The nearest place that rented was 45 mi. away, so I put it off. Christmas time comes around and I am shopping for the nieces and nephews and what do I see for sale but a little cheapo metal detector for $30. So I figure, Hey I'll find my ring! I get the thing and get home and start searching the yard. No luck. It has been a heck of a drought here with large cracks in the soil so I figure it slipped into one of the cracks. And the cheepo detector I got probably doesn't penetrate more than a few inches into the ground. I have found everything but that ring!

Well, I'm a bit of a plodder. I reaserch everything to death before I make a decision. So with my mapping experience I have a bunch of sites picked out in the area but no decent detector. I'm looking for a used Viper (or something I can take into the water, but would also be good in the deserts of the southwest US). My dad lives near Tuscon, AZ and my uncle lives in NM and both live near some great spots. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

The area I'm in was a crossroads for the colonial Spanish and I've stumbled upon an ancient tree with a carving that appears to be Spanish in origin near a historic river crossing spot. I'll post a pic of this in another forum later. This kind of sealed the deal for me, so now I'm all in!

Any advice on detectors would be much appreciated and thank you for reading my post.

pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back