How to tell who made this set. I'm assuming it's an ice bucket and highball set. The ice bucket is very heavy. Maybe it's not even a set.

hootsra1

Aug 20, 2023
PXL_20230819_193337668.jpg

If there's any kind of mark on the bottom it'll be easy to ID the maker. If not, I'd start searching patterns on popular mass production glass companies such as Libbey and Anchor Hocking, which generally those markers applied marks, but very often did not. What you have doesn't look like anything in the way of fine cut crystal, such as Waterford, but a set you might find today at a Target or Wal-Mart. Waterford Crystal can be found these at a Costco type outlet, which are not cheaply priced.

Upvote 1
If there's any kind of mark on the bottom it'll be easy to ID the maker. If not, I'd start searching patterns on popular mass production glass companies such as Libbey and Anchor Hocking, which generally those markers applied marks, but very often did not. What you have doesn't look like anything in the way of fine cut crystal, such as Waterford, but a set you might find today at a Target or Wal-Mart. Waterford Crystal can be found these at a Costco type outlet, which are not cheaply priced.
Thanks so much for your advice. Doesn't have any kind of marks I could find. I first noticed the weight, very heavy. Someone suggested to me that I tap them with a piece of silverware, I did, it gave off a kinda bell sound, don't know if that's reliable, or just some sort of urban legend stuff, lol. Many thanks

Upvote 0
The biggest clue might be where or who you got it from. There are some very nice quality crystal examples that are from Eastern European countries like the Czech Republic. If it is in fact Cut Lead Crystal there should be some distinguishing patterns that will help identify the region. These sets were frequently bought and brought back or imported from Europe in the late 1980's and later years. I would not only look at examples of Ice Buckets but also Biscuit Jars.
Living in Germany for almost 10 years I have way too much Czech, Austrian and German Crystal.....but my wife disagrees.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back