How to search NM civil war areas without breaking any laws?? Need good advice.

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi, I am a newbie to this forum and wanted to ask everyone: What the best approach is to tracking actual troop movements during the Civil War in New Mexico? I have a public map that indicates troop movements that I will post. I hope to find areas outside of restricted zones that can be searched legally. As a definite beginner, and huge Civil War enthusiast, I would ask you guys how I narrow down ACTUAL trails that the troops utilized? The map that you see on this post is the only map that I have on troop movement. It is pretty general. Any suggestions? I hope to find a civil war rifle, sword or something. That would be pretty cool.

Attachments

• map_invasion_route_lg.jpg
    map_invasion_route_lg.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
scott, first off, you're settin your sights too high. you need to hope to find ANYTHING first, and then work your way up to swords and rifles. but as for your question about restrictions, ask first then hunt. thats the best way to go without gettin fined and everything you got taken away, or worse, goin to jail. as for your map, there are some good books with offical maps from the civil war and some pretty good sites. catch gypsys attention and she'll give ya some. good luck and happy reading.

trouble1332 said:
scott, first off, you're settin your sights too high. you need to hope to find ANYTHING first, and then work your way up to swords and rifles. but as for your question about restrictions, ask first then hunt. thats the best way to go without gettin fined and everything you got taken away, or worse, goin to jail. as for your map, there are some good books with offical maps from the civil war and some pretty good sites. catch gypsys attention and she'll give ya some. good luck and happy reading.

Doesn't hurt to dream does it? ;D

"but as for your question about restrictions, ask first then hunt."
That is exactly what I am doing in this post - asking first. ;)

"as for your map, there are some good books with offical maps from the civil war and some pretty good sites."
What are they called and who authored them? That is what I have been searching for :)

Thanks for the advice and I will definiely try to catch up with her! Gypsy, do you have anything to add to this posting? I would love to learn more from you!

Doesn't hurt to dream does it?

"but as for your question about restrictions, ask first then hunt."
That is exactly what I am doing in this post - asking first.

"as for your map, there are some good books with offical maps from the civil war and some pretty good sites."
What are they called and who authored them? That is what I have been searching for

no, it doesn't hurt to dream. dreams are the things that give people a reason to live and do what they do.
the restrictions question: that was meant for you to ask around and see. not just on here. people in the area would have a better understanding than someone who live miles away from you.
the best map book i've found is "the official military atlas of the civil war". it's made up of alot of doctors of history and things like that. too many names to list. they'er actual maps from the civil, just shrunk to fit the big a$$ book.just look that up.

if you're lookin for good things, try lookin up ft. craig. there seems to be a battle just west of a town called paraje, and there was a battle in valverde in case you wanna take a trip to hunt or visit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back