How to Find?

Hello :D

I am new to this as well. My first bottle find I stumble across while walking around a grassy area close to a small beach area. There it lay! :o It was a Pepsi bottle made after 1965, not worth much to me it is PRICELESS & a real lil cutie as well! For myself I found it extremely interesting that this bottle was basically laying about ( if not bobbing about the ocean/river ) for quite some time & in great condition. . I can't wait till I find other lil areas to poke about but for now I will stick to my beach nook ;D

Some people seem to do some serious digging, knowing areas that were "trash dumps" or houses at one time. . one day I would like to attempt this . . but for now I am thrilled I found a lil nook that no one else has seemed to discover ;D

Good Luck & Good Finding!
Bogart :D

Most of my bottle dump's have been at old homesite's or at least where they've been,Most of the dump's are no more than 50 yd's from the foundation,at least for me.Good Luck!!

Hello PAyoungin'!!

My roomate in college was from Pine Grove. Research is important when scoping for trash pits. I happen to live in an area rich in history with many homes dating to 1700's and some to as early as 1600's. There were many mills along the drainages here. Although it's tough getting permission to dig, in some of the more economically stressed areas, there are still opportunities. You can check with your local archivist to find out where the 'town' dump was. Look for abandoned structures, mills and mill support buildings. Many homes were built on higher ground to avoid flooding, so check ravines behind old structures. Look for broken shards of glass, iron, oyster and clam shells. If the areas surrounding the structure is flat, look for 'mounded' areas.I have a probe (spring steel........45 inches long) which enables me to check for glass without having to dig first. Hope this helps and Happy Hunting.

root in Delaware Cty.

civilman1 said:
Most of my bottle dump's have been at old homesite's or at least where they've been,Most of the dump's are no more than 50 yd's from the foundation,at least for me.Good Luck!!
Sounds right.Back in the old days,in rural areas and on farms and such,most people had their own personal dumpsites.The one I searched in KY. a couple years ago was partially grown over but the evidence was apparent and could easily be seen with the naked eye.It was mainly bottles.I'm no expert on the subject but I think people may have had several different dumps for different garbage,depending on the amount of land they had available.I'm sure they burned whatever was burnable and probably had compost piles for the decomposing kinds of stuff.That's probably why I found nothing but bottles in the one dump that I had the pleasure to dig.That, and bottles don't decompose.Anybody more familiar with this,want to confirm? BTW- the one I dug was in an old water drainage ditch not more than 100 feet from the original foundation,which was nothing more than a collapsed chimney.
GOOD LUCK and H.H.-diggummup

Thanks guys. I know that there used to be an old dump near the canal, but im going into the historical society this weekend to do some research. Thanks for the help.
PAyoungin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back