🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i got this for $5 at a general store that had some other antiques but all i had was $10 on me i'm thinking late 1800's-early 1900's thanks for your help,Gold Boy P1100510.JPGP1100511.JPGP1100512.JPG

No names, stamps or other identifying marks?

It's from an English style saddle, which may not be too
common in Texas. As for a date, I'm clueless.

Upvote 0
No names, stamps or other identifying marks?

It's from an English style saddle, which may not be too
common in Texas. As for a date, I'm clueless.

there is no marks at all which is strange

Upvote 0
5 bucks; man that thing is old, so old it clearly fell off the saddle as it did not come with it.

You should go back and charge them.

Upvote 0
Aynway, when you go back, make sure you tell them that this came off of a 1850s US Army McClellan saddle, and that you need them replacement value for the rest of the saddle. LOL

Good find.

Upvote 0
Aynway, when you go back, make sure you tell them that this came off of a 1850s US Army McClellan saddle, and that you need them replacement value for the rest of the saddle. LOL

Good find.

yea i wish

Upvote 0
nobody ???

Upvote 0
i got this for $5 at a general store that had some other antiques but all i had was $10 on me i'm thinking late 1800's-early 1900's thanks for your help,Gold Boy View attachment 1658718View attachment 1658722View attachment 1658723

I saw an identical stirrup at an antique shop in Brandon, MS a few years back and it was labeled with a 1904 date.
I dug one like it as well in Clinton, MS at a turn of the century house site so I'm thinking that label was probably pretty accurate.

Upvote 0
I saw an identical stirrup at an antique shop in Brandon, MS a few years back and it was labeled with a 1904 date.
I dug one like it as well in Clinton, MS at a turn of the century house site so I'm thinking that label was probably pretty accurate.

Thank you a lot :occasion14:

Upvote 0
i can't find a brass plate like you are talking about i'm not tech savy

Upvote 0
I have English saddles with Stirrups like this. Notice how the bottom ring is smaller then the top. It is to hold a rubber pad insert so not to slip through. If i remember when i go to the barn i will take a couple of pictures

Upvote 0
i can't find a brass plate like you are talking about i'm not tech savy

BP.png

May have to click on it to enlarge it, or Ctrl left click to open in a new window and then Ctrl + to blow it up larger.

Pic is not mine though, just found on teh net.

Upvote 0
View attachment 1659106

May have to click on it to enlarge it, or Ctrl left click to open in a new window and then Ctrl + to blow it up larger.

Pic is not mine though, just found on teh net.

those are cool looking i hope to dig a brass plate like that one day

Upvote 0
Oddjob wrote:
> Anyway, when you go back, make sure you tell them that this came off of a 1850s US Army McClellan saddle, and that you need them replacement value for the rest of the saddle. LOL

No offense intended... I mean this only as friendly helpful advice. Oddjob, I've seen you come up with some amazing correct identifications -- but in this case, you definitely are mistaken. I'm 100% certain that gold boy's steel stirrup is from a US Army Model-1904 McClellan saddle. See the photos below, one of which is from famous American Militaria dealer Hayes Otoupalik's website, where you can still buy these Original (not reproduction) US Model-1904 saddle stirrups. The other photo, showing these stirrups still attached to the M-1904 saddle, says it is maker-marked 1918.

Attachments

• ww1_horsegear_stirrups_steel_for-McClellan-saddle_photobyHayesOtoupalik_DSCF0421.jpg
    ww1_horsegear_stirrups_steel_for-McClellan-saddle_photobyHayesOtoupalik_DSCF0421.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 46
  • saddle_McClellan_Model1904_stamped1918_sideview.jpg
    saddle_McClellan_Model1904_stamped1918_sideview.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
Mate I would not be offended, wrong is wrong, and history should never be forgotten or mistaken. Happy someone could point him in the right direction.

I have written so much doctrine in the recovery and prevention of stolen works of art and culture property it would make you sick; only to see someone at the warehouse ID it wrong like I did here and it is shelved until someone comes along and spots the wrong. Worse case I have ever seen was a wrong ID that was corrected on an item that was shelved for six years, IDed correct and the data base showed who the owner was, only to find out they passed away just a little over a year prior to the correction, so they never got to see their item again.

Not that this is the case here, but you get my drift, gotta correct it when you see it.

Just out of curiosity though, that would put me far off, like wrong model then on the brass plates as well wouldn’t.

Sorry Gold Boy; you should have learned by now in the random chat thread to just hit ignore mate. LOL

Upvote 0
Picture of McClellan stirrup on internet site

I did find a picture of a McClellan saddle on the internet with similar looking stirrup. I don't know how long McClellan saddles had been in service.

Attachments

• McClellan Stirrup.jpg
    McClellan Stirrup.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
I just saw Cannonball Guy's reply. It looks like the antique store had the right date.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back