How old is this duck decoy?

it looks old to me but I don't know allot about them, most of the old one's I have seen usually have a balance weight/plate on the bottom,or a indention where one was.

Upvote 0
Here is pic of the bottom

Has a letter A at least it looks like it?

Upvote 0
I think I'm going to have to disagree on this one skaba it looks used missing other glass eye to....... But I will see more opinions

Upvote 0
like I said I really don't know much about them ,but it does look like it might have two screw holes in the bottom where something might have been attached?

Upvote 0
The piece on tail isn't wood it is metal

Upvote 0
Comment was for skaba
lol,I know, I just wanted you to know that I am not the best source of information about them.The tail might have something to do with stabelizing it,i really don't know?I would like to learn more about them myself.I have a couple around here that where passed down from my great granddad.He was a waterman off the Potomac and belonged to some duck hunting club.

Upvote 0
I like to know about everything lol....... Someone who knows will comment

Upvote 0
I'm going with decorative also. It is made to look old and used but I don't think it is or ever was a working decoy although it sorta looks like it. Are the groves that have been cut into it to replicate wings and feathers one continuous line like it was cut out with a dremell tool or can you see where a gouge was used and the lines are not continuous? A working decoy would have been made to use and the time it would have taken to cut those lines would have been used in painting or carving out another decoy to add to the spread. These are just my thoughts and opinions cause I aint holding it in my hand and having to look at pictures and like an umpire in a baseball game, you're a lot closer to plate than I am...d2

Upvote 0

......it just looks like it would be a little extreme to make it look this old

Upvote 0
I don't hunt but it would seem this would be a good female duck?

Upvote 0
IMHO, it is way too small to be an actual decoy as it is roughly 7 inches or less.

Upvote 0
I do agree it is small...... But it just looks to used maybe it was made for a kid to use when dad hunts? I threw a email to someone...... I think the white one I posted is a def a decrotive decoy......but this one I think is pretty old....... Thank you guys for your help

Upvote 0
I'd say definitely old, but not a working decoy. The A is probably the carver's signature. At 7 inches, it was most likely a hunter's den decoration.

Upvote 0
i think the curly tail would indicate a drake and not a hen.

Upvote 0
The size and shape are about right for a Teal. What part of the country? If it was a decoy it would have been a high end one based on the detail. Paint has and still is much faster for maintenance. Heck even if it wasn't originally a decoy some of the old carvings are still worth quite a bit especially if carved by a well known carver. Knowing the area or region is the starting point to find the old time local carvers. Check with the local gun clubs they'll know who was who. Can you tell what type of wood it is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks fowledup appreciate it not sure what kind of wood does seem like a nice quality wood though not cheap

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back