72.2 KB · Views: 153
  • image-2227673222.jpg
    image-2227673222.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 140
  • image-1996524543.jpg
    image-1996524543.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 1
measurements that tell the caliber of the bullet would help date it. It looks in the photo like a pistol bullet. .45 colt dates to 1871,
.44 special dates to 1907, and .38 dates to 1898. The patina looks like an early bullet, perhaps 100 years old.

It's small and does appear to be a pistol bullet.

Anyone else have any input?

I agree that it is probably a pistol bullet and it is old because of the patina, although I have a .44 bullet that only has a single ring. I have a very good book on bullets and I need to see what kind of configurations the .44 came in. To be definitive, you will have to measure it with a caliper. Looks like it has been fired because of the nick at the top. If the nick looks like it has been pushed toward the back of the bullet and it is fairly solid and deep then it was probably fired.

Pretty darn sure that It's civil war. I have found several Exactly like it at a place where lots and lots of 3 ringers, musket balls, and other C.W. relics have been recovered.

I found That Exact Same Buckle. haha

Looks like a early "Hollow-Point"
No [for-real]
Imo it's likely post CW but I could be wrong.
Is there many many Vertical lines inside the rings ?
if so that usually means post CW but it's still old and cool ,I like the buckle as well.

Looks like a early "Hollow-Point"
No [for-real]
Imo it's likely post CW but I could be wrong.
Is there many many Vertical lines inside the rings ?
if so that usually means post CW but it's still old and cool ,I like the buckle as well.

Sorry for the double post everyone.

Pretty darn sure that It's civil war. I have found several Exactly like it at a place where lots and lots of 3 ringers, musket balls, and other C.W. relics have been recovered.

It may be im in north east PA so we never had any civil war battles here but we did have some training and many people from the area fought for the north. We have revolutionary war history but I have not been lucky enough to dig any of that yet (not for lack of trying) hopefully this year with my new at pro.

I found That Exact Same Buckle. haha

Yeah it's cool, I found several similar ones in the same spot was told they are horse track related and likely from the early turn of the century. Curious what did yours come up on the at pro? I dug myn with a whites but have since upgraded.

Looks like a early "Hollow-Point" No [for-real] Imo it's likely post CW but I could be wrong. Is there many many Vertical lines inside the rings ? if so that usually means post CW but it's still old and cool ,I like the buckle as well.

I looked with a loop and I can't see any lines inside the rings but it is dirty and old so it's very hard to tell.

Also it was only about 4inchs deep if that makes any difference.

Many of the CW bullets I dig are at the 4-5 inch area.

Also I dug a funny older looking 2 ring bullet today & came home just now and looked for my smaller CW bullet book and could not find it but I did find My Introduction To Civil War Small Arms book by Coates & Thomas.
Could not find a match to my bullet but saw one that reminded me of your post ,
anyway looked at your pic, cause I thought it looked like a 44 cal Kerr Revolver round pictured in the book & tho they are close there not an exact match also the one pictured has not been fired & it has more of a cone tipped point but yours could be a variant of some type . Hope you can find a match. Ill keep you in mind as I dig out my good ref, books out of storage as I try to id my find.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back