how old are these?

farmdump

Mar 5, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally I found another dump site on the property. I have found these bottles so far

Photo on 2013-03-17 at 14.10.jpg

Photo on 2013-03-17 at 14.11.jpg

Photo on 2013-03-17 at 14.11 #2.jpg

Photo on 2013-03-17 at 14.12.jpg

Attachments

• Photo on 2013-03-17 at 14.12.jpg
    Photo on 2013-03-17 at 14.12.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 115
Screw tops started around 1900. My guess would be in 50s or 60s. Seems like I can remember this style bottle. Thanks for sharing. Keep digging.

Upvote 0
Hey farm dump.

I think I see some embossing on a couple of these. What does it say? Clear closeups of the bases may reveal manufacturer or date codes. I'd guess 1940-1960ish.

Only you and your shovel will know if it gets older, as you go deeper... And, us too, if you share the results of your diggings.

OIGC1932illustration2.jpg

Upvote 0
Hey surf

I found a license plate from 1946 in the dump as well. I haven't even started digging on the other side of the dump yet... wonder what could be under the dirt? The license plate says COM on the side. Does that mean commercial? I also found some pottery to. The medicine-like bottle says "Rwungles" and on the bottom, "bottle made in the U.S.A" One of the tall bottles has grapes on the cover and the other one says "wine" underneath it.

hope this helps,

farmdump

Upvote 0
In your first pic, the one the left looks like an old whiskey. What's the embossing on it say? The bottle on the right is a drug store bottle, probably from the 30's. It looks like it has writing on it too.Usually these bottles would sit on their edge on a shelf so you could read what it contained... The middle bottle looks like a newer wine bottle. A way to tell how old a molded bottle is, look at the seam below the lip. the closer to the shoulder the seam starts, the older the bottle. There are other factors, but this will give you a starting point for bottle age.

Upvote 0
Hey itsmine

The whiskey-looking bottle shows a grape vine on the front. The drug store bottle says "69" on the bottom. could it have been made in 1969? It also says "bottle made in U.S.A".

hope this helps

Upvote 0
Farm, can u do a rubbing on the whiskey? Looks to me like there's writing on all 3 bottles..... If you can't make it out, do a pencil rubbing of the writing. You should be able to read it better. The drug store bottle probably had a remedy tonic in it. With lots of those bottles the number on the bottom usually made a reference to the size of the bottle. #69 might be 8 oz. of fluid. #70 would be 12 oz. of fluid.......Depends on the maker. Just as a hunch, the drug store bottle doesn't have the name Rexall on it ,does it?????? Rexall Drug Store's were as popular as Walgreen's are today.(That is if your in the States......lol)

The grapes on the tall (whiskey) are leading me to believe it's an old wine bottle.....from the shape I would put its age.....from 1890 to 1915....somewhere in that range.

Upvote 0
Hey itsmine

Thats great news on the old wine bottle! The drug store bottle says "Rawleigh's trademark" and underneath it it says "bottle made in U.S.A" There doesn't look like theres any sign of Rexall on the bottle.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back