How many GPM were the old Keene 4x3 pumps?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone!

I have a chance to buy an older Keene 4x3 and Briggs 8hp motor for about $175 dollars.
The impeller and housing is suppose to be in great shape and he is going to get me pictures tomorrow.

So I wanted to know how many GPM these older 4x3 pumps could put out, how much power would I need to put out its max, what should I look out for and most importantly, can I run this one my 5" dredge project?

I have seen older Keene 4" dredges with this pump, but I cant recall seeing anything larger than a 4" with this older pump.

I have been saving for a Dahlke 4x3" DP500 pump but if I could get away with this one for now then that would help me out a lot financially until I find more gold.

I also have a Honda GX390 13hp motor that I was going to use for the Dahlke, would using that motor with the Keene 4x3 help improve its GPM very much?

Thanks everyone.

Keene 4x3 Old 1.jpg

Keene 4x3 Old 2.jpg

btw the pictures are hard to tell from and it may not be as old as I think.
Is this a P350 just without the bung for a blaster hookup?

It has " Keene 3x4 " Cast across the front just like the P350 and looks strikingly similar.

The P350 is 450gpm, if this is an early P350 would it flow the same and use the same seals and bearings?

I do not know what size impeller it has yet but I will guess the 5" instead of the 5.5 or 6" impeller based on the engine that its on.

On that note, does anyone know the different gpm the for the different size impellers?

I found these power recommendations through googling.

5" = 8 - 9hp engine
5.5" = 11 - 13hp engine
6" = 18hp+ engine (But from what I have read some have done well with engines at 13+hp.)

BUT from what I gather from Keene's parts catalogue for P350 impellers is....

5" = 8hp
5.5" = 9hp
6" Tall Keyed Honda = 11hp

Last edited:
No hose bib means pre 80 so it's ancient and that engine ain't no youngster but a iron monster.6" run fine with a dual 5.5 setup with newer pumps and the 16 hp rocks. I had the 18hp IC on my triple 6 BUT you must have the special made high dome 350+ designation or same same as 16 hp.-John

Why don't you call Pat Keene at Keene Engineering?

KEENE ENG

Mike

I don't like using the port on the pump for my blaster hose. NOT enough umph! I took my blaster hose from my Dave Frank Vortexrex venture . Dave built in a 1 inch and a 3/4 inch port for hipressure blaster hose! I could (now Bill Saf can) adjust the pressure for the blaster hose at his finger tips!

KEENE ENG

Mike

Whelp it was late when I made the post, I know that Hoser comes on first thing in the morning and I wanted to share the information because there isn't very much out there that I could find through googling.

Hey John is it worth spending the $175 on an older pump like this to get in the water quicker or should I just hold off for my Dahlke?
Would you say that this could support a 5" setup as it is right now or would it be a lot better to put it on my 13hp?

Thanks guys. :)

took an older 3x4 off that same motor put it on a new 11hp B&S, powers my 5 inch very well.
I use a battery and my bulge pump to prime the pump.
DSC05539.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks Winner, that's exactly what I wanted to see. :)
What is the maximum depth that you can get out of that setup and how long of a suction hose do you run?

Can these older 3x4's use the P350 impellers, seals and bearings?

Last edited:
Yeah, I was looking at their impellers last night.
Would the long nose Keyed one fit the 4x3 housing?

I wont be pumping it very high out of the water, more length of hose than anything as I am just trying to clear the majority of the mountain of sand out of our way so that we can work.
When we start on the good stuff I will reduce my hose length to just one of my sections (Around 25 - 30', havnt measured it yet.)

I am going to dredge the area that we are going to dump the sand first just to make sure that I am not covering up good ground.

I wrote sent an e-mail to Pat earlier today but I know that he is busy and probably wont hear back for a few days.

not sure, saw an impeller once that had a 3in long nose thing but it was on an old cast iron motor from the 70s
not sure its the same thing, the one "11hp honda key tall" is probably something different.
looks like a good buy I started and ran the 8hp I have, seems like it would run and run.

I think in the OP the 5,5.5 & 6 are the dredge size not the impeller size for the bigger motors they change the "bite" of the vanes.
so you could get 350 gpm from the 8hp, 400 gpm from the 13hp and 450 from the 16hp all the motors spin at 3600rpm max its how much oomph you can get...

my 4x3 8hp Honda came from the factory on a keene 5" triple sluice so its got enough power

Thanks NJ, I ended up missing that deal but found out that the older 4x3"s pumps were good for 5" applications.

I ended up picking up a full deck 8" / 6" Triple sluice dredge with dual Keene P350S Pumps on 13hp engines.
If I want to run the 5" that I have put together all I need to do is grab one of those engines and its off to the races, now if only tickets to the races would only be sold. :D

KEENE ENG

Better to call Mark, Pat is sales Mark is tech

You should have a ball Neo. Are you planning on using it in the same place you snip? That would be Awesome!

ratled

Last edited:
Nope, for now its just in the reserve gear for when we get dredging back.

I have a couple other plans though that I think you have heard about over in Facebook land. :D
My original River Restoration plans are still moving forward for later this summer.

I want to add Keene's sump (From the 6220 Super Max dredge) to the dredge along with catches on the side sluices for 100% mercury recovery.
I believe that the sump paired with catches on the side sluices will reliably give us 100% mercury recovery.

not sure, saw an impeller once that had a 3in long nose thing but it was on an old cast iron motor from the 70s
not sure its the same thing, the one "11hp honda key tall" is probably something different.
looks like a good buy I started and ran the 8hp I have, seems like it would run and run.

Hey winner a mining friend has an old 5 inch keene dredge with an 8 hp briggs on truck inner tube tires what pump would you put on a 5 inch with 8hp briggs? The pump is up at the claim and needs a new impeller but don't know what pump it has. I was thinking of getting a new engine (briggs)and pump for it as a backup redundancy is important out in the bush!!!

Last edited:
this is the 8hp I took my pump off of.
DSC05497.JPG . copyDSC05498.JPG
then put it on an 11hp Brigg's
I have another 8hp with a 1" threaded shaft
that would work also (its in the background)
DSC05539.JPG . DSC05541.JPG

Probably best to talk to Mark at Keene to order the right one, they make different p350 impellers to pair with the HP.
Post some photos...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back