How many do you need to keep

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Well I’m starting to be more selective on these types of artifacts. I’ve found a few over the years. I am still looking for better examples for my frame and will trade the ugly ones out as I find better ones. I haven’t found any hard stone yet this year. On the table I have nutters, grinders, divot stones, Celt pieces, handheld small metates and some idk but show work and probably some anvils. In hand is my best net weight
Some Hoes in the frame to.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpeg
    IMG_1948.jpeg
    768.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1950.jpeg
    IMG_1950.jpeg
    812.7 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 7
I have many divot stones. I understand the double divot one on each face being a hammer stone but what would be the single divot style of been used for? I have 2 single ones. One is a hard stone but the other is a schist. Grey is the schist very smooth on the grey but little rough on the red one which is probably a quartzite. Anyone have any ideas I’d be interested in hearing.

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 11
Your two pictured show use wear but I've no clue what they were for or how they were used. Many divot stones people post are natural stones, divots caused by water.
I found almost all of these in one location some creek some field. Couple of Adze blades in the picture to.
On the divot stones they are interesting but nobody really has positive feedback on their uses. Just speculation and theories. I did find one possible Roller Pestle this year. I t

Well I’m starting to be more selective on these types of artifacts. I’ve found a few over the years. I am still looking for better examples for my frame and will trade the ugly ones out as I find better ones. I haven’t found any hard stone yet this year. On the table I have nutters, grinders, divot stones, Celt pieces, handheld small metates and some idk but show work and probably some anvils. In hand is my best net weight
Some Hoes in the frame to.
Wow! What a collection.

Your two pictured show use wear but I've no clue what they were for or how they were used. Many divot stones people post are natural stones, divots caused by water.
We don’t have Omar’s in Georgia. I could see the quartzite being a cap stone being found in a campsite but the schist one I found within feet from where I found my gorget that is also made from schist so it’s a total mystery to me. I can’t imagine what they were using that softer grainy material for to leave a divot. The material could of been used for an abrader but it only has one divot and no other scratches from use. I believe it would be useless as a cap stone.

Nice collection of some of the other stuff, I’d keep everything personally but I have the same situation with rock hounding, trying to be more and more selective of what comes home otherwise my floor would probably collapse from all the rock… I like the sharing with the grandkids idea though.

Nice collection of some of the other stuff, I’d keep everything personally but I have the same situation with rock hounding, trying to be more and more selective of what comes home otherwise my floor would probably collapse from all the rock… I like the sharing with the grandkids idea though.
No grandkids unfortunately

I have many divot stones. I understand the double divot one on each face being a hammer stone but what would be the single divot style of been used for? I have 2 single ones. One is a hard stone but the other is a schist. Grey is the schist very smooth on the grey but little rough on the red one which is probably a quartzite. Anyone have any ideas I’d be interested in hearing.
The one on the right is cool, I've never found anything like it. I always wonder if they used those like that to help start fires (going by the size).

I keep everything, much to my wife's annoyment. Rocks and relics everywhere.

You got some nice relics there.
Yep and there is more under there. I haven’t found much of anything this year in hard stone just a piece of something that is highly polished and a possible Roller Pestle which I need to go back and get

The one on the right is cool, I've never found anything like it. I always wonder if they used those like that to help start fires (going by the size).
It could be the divot on the grey one is bigger than most I find and highly polished from use. Some think they used the billets on those stones to for the knapping process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back